Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Different Notts & Derby Uniform

DB1

Hi

I Have two very different pictures of my Granddad in a Notts & Derby Regiment Uniform. One shows him as a private (Attested 30/10/14) and another shows him as a L/cpl (appointed unpaid 10/8/16, appointed paid 1.5.17). The difference noted is the lanyard attached to his left shoulder and the end of the lanyard attached to something in his pocket or Chain. Did the Notts & Derby regiment change their uniform between the above dates or is there some other significance to the Lanyard?

Other pictures I have of him do not contain the Lanyard or any attachment to his pocket.

Regards

Dave

post-109968-0-80161800-1399898940_thumb.

post-109968-0-64648100-1399899123_thumb.

I think it is the same uniform Attached to the lanyard could have been a clasp knife, whistle etc which was put in the right breast pocket.

Thanks, I have also seen somewhere that the lanyard with attached clasp knife and or whistle were only issued when mobilised for active service. Is this true or did they issue them to all new recruits? If they were issued on mobilisation could that mean within the Uk ie service in Ireland or would it be in europe?

Also if they were issued on mobilisation / active service would the lanyard and items attached be removed for home service as my Granddad served in Home service Battalions while a L/cpl which is when the other photos I have were taken.

Regards

Dave

Sorry. I can't help you with that. Someone who can might come along.

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave, what was granddads name ? the first photo he is a lance corporal, good conduct stripe and wearing territorial shoulder titles. JG

Don't hold your breathe John, he has not been back for nearly 4 mnths.

Hi John

His name was John Brown 3226. I have a few posts about him on here. His records show TF home service with the N&D until transfer to the DLI in 1918 and then service in France with them.

I posted the photos following my other posts as the one as a private was found at a later date.

There remains a slight possibility that he may have been mobilised for service abroad in 1914 but either didn't go or was sent back due to illness or injury. I wondered if a home service man would have been issued with the lanyard / whistle or the picture indicates he was being sent abroad.

Hope you haven't held your breath, although I only took a day ?