Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suicide by Drowning

alantwo

Whilst researching casualties on board HMHS Assaye for a Forum member, I came across an entry in the observation column in the Admissions and Discharge Books describing death as ‘Suicide by drowning’. The Private of 2 Scottish Horse was diagnosed as having enteric fever and had been admitted to a ward on the ship the day before. From the little I know of enteric fever, germs entering the body cause toxins in the blood leading to excruciating stomach pains with bouts of constipation and diarrhoea to the point where the seriously ill are barely conscious at all. Whether consciously or unconsciously it appears he fell over board and the body was returned to Suvla for burial before the ship embarked.

The service record does not seem to have survived but the MIC also records death by ‘Suicide’. The Victory and British War medals are recorded as being returned ‘(1743 KR) 7941/Adt’ though I assume this means for adjustment rather than that they were not wanted by the family. The name is misspelt in the Admissions Book but the correct name is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

Regards

Alan

post-74297-0-10411900-1399717132_thumb.j

• 6 years later...

Hi, I’ve just come across your post concerning the Assaye. My Grandad Myles Darbyshire, Service number 1447, Royal Army Medical Corps was a medical assistant on board the HMHS Assaye. Our understanding is that it was torpedoed as it left Gallipoli. He was one of the survivors. How do I get more information on this; where he was sent when rescued etc.

Thanks very much.

Karen.

@Karen Darbyshire

Hi - it's best to keep your requests in one thread to ensure members don't duplicate their efforts in trying to help you.

Hopefully the admins will split your request off into its own thread so that we can see what the collective brains trust of the Great War Forum can come up with to help you :)

Cheers,

Peter