Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Artillery Shell Casings

Guest afogerson@sbcglobal.net

In my collection I have two shells that I haven't been able to accurately identify.I'm assuming they're British as both have broad arrow marks. However, neither seems to match the photos I've seen online. One appears to be a British 18 pound artillery shell (about 285 mm in length, 84 mm at the throat, and 103 mm across the base. In addition to the broad arrow the markings include an N,k, and M superimposed on each other inside the figure of a drum. Below that is the broad arrow, then 23, the 15 10 02 CF (which I undestand refers to the cordite filling. No "18 pound" mark or any lot number that i can see.

The second shell is 375 mm in length, 45 mm wide at the throat, and 65 mm wide at the base. The markings on the base consist of and "M" with an "I" superimposed in its middle, the broad arrow, and below that 3 N 97 CF, and finally 11 below that. Again, not lot number or identification (that I can tell) of the type of shell.

Any information and assistance you gentlemen can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new kid on the block, so let me know if I need to provide anything else. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

First, I assume you are talking about cartridge cases, not shells. (Shells being the projectiles that are fired from the gun).

I don't have my list of case dimensions to hand but your first case is too early to be an 18 Pr as it is dated 15 October 1902 and the 18 Pr. was not introduced until 1904. It may be the earlier 15 Pr. but I leave it to others more knowledgeable than I to identify.

It was made by Kings Norton Metals Co (KNM) in Birmingham and the powder barrel was their trade mark. "CF" as you say, indicates a loading of Cordite Full charge.

The second appears to be a Naval issue due to the "N" stamp and I will check my listings for the manufacturers mark. The "97" may be the date, 1897. Possibly a 3 Pr. Hotchkiss?

Regards

TonyE

In my collection I have two shells that I haven't been able to accurately identify.I'm assuming they're British as both have broad arrow marks. However, neither seems to match the photos I've seen online. One appears to be a British 18 pound artillery shell (about 285 mm in length, 84 mm at the throat, and 103 mm across the base. In addition to the broad arrow the markings include an N,k, and M superimposed on each other inside the figure of a drum. Below that is the broad arrow, then 23, the 15 10 02 CF (which I undestand refers to the cordite filling. No "18 pound" mark or any lot number that i can see.

The second shell is 375 mm in length, 45 mm wide at the throat, and 65 mm wide at the base. The markings on the base consist of and "M" with an "I" superimposed in its middle, the broad arrow, and below that 3 N 97 CF, and finally 11 below that. Again, not lot number or identification (that I can tell) of the type of shell.

Any information and assistance you gentlemen can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new kid on the block, so let me know if I need to provide anything else. Thanks.

Im also the relatively new kid, with a british artillary fuse...

First off the inspectors mark would be a letter...

But yes the arrowhead makes it british for certain...

The best bet is if you have the actual shell...is the fuse attached if so...tell me what number follows the NO As i can then tell you what variety of firing instruments may have fired it...to narrow your search extremely.

Luke - these are cartridge cases, not shells.

Regards

TonyE

The second item is definitely a 3 Pr. Hotchkiss.

Is there any chance of a photograph of the first one please?

Cheers

TonyE

Thanks very much for the quick responses and the information. I apologize, I meant to say shell casings, not shells. I included photos of the base/markings of the first casing in my original posting. Will add a photo of the entire casing. Thanks again for your warm welcome. Arron