Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The enlistment process for Germans and Brits

Guest Ecarylloh

Guest Ecarylloh

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out details of what exactly British and German soldiers went through in the enlistment process in WW1. i.e. what did they do first, sign up or have their medical checks? What kind of questions were they asked? I also came across a video of new recruits being daubed with paint on their backs - does anyone know if this was a common occurrence and the reasoning behind it?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, especially for my first post! I've googled extensively and looked in my local library but details of what actually happened in the recruitment office seem to be pretty scarce...

Any pointers would be massively appreciated,

Thanks,

E

Long Long Trail top left of page has some info including training for British Army.

I'm trying to find out details of what exactly British and German soldiers went through in the enlistment process in WW1. i.e. what did they do first, sign up or have their medical checks? What kind of questions were they asked? I also came across a video of new recruits being daubed with paint on their backs - does anyone know if this was a common occurrence and the reasoning behind it?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, especially for my first post! I've googled extensively and looked in my local library but details of what actually happened in the recruitment office seem to be pretty scarce...

Any pointers would be massively appreciated,

If by "in WW1" you mean the whole war period 1914-18, you are essentially dealing with at least three British processes as well as a German one.

The three British processes were:

1. Volunteering up to 1915.

2. Variation of volunteering during the Derby Scheme in late 1915.

3. Conscription from March 1916. There were procedures for applying for exemption from military service, including on the grounds of conscientious objection.

So far as Germany was concerned, it was conscription throughout. I know nothing about any grounds for claiming exemption, but they certainly did not include conscientious objection.