Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Specimen Medals

Captain Dave

I don't really collect medals, but I do have a WW1 BWM marked speciman on the rim. My questions are,

How common are they.

Why were they marked this way.

(As far as the rest of my collection goes, I also have a SA VM, and that's it!)

Medals marked "Specimen" were usually given to museums for display purposes.

Specimen medals are uncommon but aren't as desireable to collectors as a medal named to a person who served in the war.

Guest Pete Wood

I know a memorial plaque is not classed as a medal. But the specimens were made for the departments who had an interest in them: War Department, Admiralty, Colonial Office etc.

These are worth considerably MORE than named plaques.

If anyone has a SHE DIED plaque with Specimen on it, I think you could swap it for a small house in France.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

It depends on the collector. I am sure that someone like Howard Wilkinson would be interested in it as would others based around the East Anglia area.

Ian :)

I know a memorial plaque is not classed as a medal. But the specimens were made for the departments who had an interest in them: War Department, Admiralty, Colonial Office etc.

Pete could you describe these plaques further? Did they have a made-up name, or was the box for the name left blank? Or is that where it said "Specimen"?

Tom

Guest Pete Wood

The name box stated which department the specimen was made for. I have also seen one which just says 'SPECIMEN.'

All the ones I have seen have the roman numerals for 1919.

Photo courtesy of DM (Thank you).

post-23-1097833269.jpg

Fascinating to see this. We don't normally get the chance to think about all the background work which went into the various commemorations which we take for granted now.

Tom