Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War I experts

Guest Bryce

Who among this group are knowledgable or even expert on the subjects of the German and French Armies in World War I?

Bryce A. Suderow

streetstories@juno.com

Really depends on what type of information you are looking for. I believe EVERY member has some information (at least few books) available... so lets hear it.

I am looking for accounts of each of the various battles of the Frontiers in French and German - Morhange, Neufchateau, Guise and so forth.

Bryce A. Suderow

I suggest you consult that expert on everything - Mr Google.

10 seconds of typing threw up 1250 hits on bataille+Morhange, 3000+ on bataille+Neufchateau and several hundred on bataille+Guise+Lanrezac (there were 26,500 on bataille+Guise, but that includes non WW1 references).

There are fewer on schlacht+Morhange, etc but part of the issue is different nomenclature - Bataille de Guise = Schlacht bei St. Quentin (104 hits).

Decent French OOB's can be built out of the information here.

Happy hunting B)

I think you'll need to go to French and German regimental histories for the Battles of the Frontiers and Morhange. There was a certain amount written at the time or in the 20s. You could try Schlachten des Weltkrieges for the period you want. There is a bit of new writing on the French side of the battle of the Frontiers but the books still cited are those written by Grasset. I don't know of anything in English that begins to give you details, particularly not of Morhange.

Christina