Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UNCONFIRMED BURIAL REPORT LOCATION?

303man

I have a casualty and research shows him as an unconfirmed burial P.21.c.30.70.Sheet 51b Any one able to de cypher this location as it seems to be missing the SW SE Nw NE of normal references. He was a Sept 1918 Casualty my reckoning is SW of Dury am I warm?

Yep, can't post an image as I'm on iPod waiting for a bass to bite. Just had a look on McMaster Trench Maps and there is a couple available which show the reference you quoted

J

I make it more directly to the West of Dury, about here:

post-9980-0-25309900-1399241900_thumb.jp

Thanks, i had the rough area correct then! His body was either exhumed and buried as an unknown, or he is still lying there as he is commerated on the vimy Memorial. "Soldier Sleep Sound".

I'm not sure if the position is the bottom left hand corner of the coloured square or the whole square. That's '30,70' on section P21 anyway. strictly speaking it ought to mean where the lines '30' and '70' cross. If that small square is divided up further it would be a six figure number. Sadly I don't have the software I used to have (it's on an old, very poorly, computer) or I would have overlaid a semi-transparent image of the map on to the Google Earth image.