Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Anglia 'Essex' Heavy Battery April 1912 - January1916

bcarleton

I am trying to obtain greater detail on the activities of the subject unit during this time frame in order to better describe the experiences of my grandfather during pre-war and the early part of the War. I already know he enlisted into the Territorial Force from West Ham in April 1912 and went into the Heavy Artillery.Then there is a big gap of information until he was reassigned to 152 Heavy Battery in January 1916 and stayed with them throughout the War fighting in Belgium and France.

• For example there were training locations 'Okehampton' and 'alloted positions in Brentwood' when war was first declaired, however that is all the description or insight I have found. Maybe no one wrote of it, or there were no unit diaries prior to the war with the mundance information I seem so addicted to. I'd love to fill this picture out better.

As an original member, grandfater would have been in 1/1 East Anglia 'Essex' Heavy Battery until the point he transferred out. Unfortunately, his service records are not available (probably lost as bomb/fire damage during WWII).

He is Francis (Frank) E Barley (signaller and driver 60 pounder) #316026.

It would be darn exciting if any other forum members with ancesters in the same unit happen to have photos too. I have a few and am happy to share.

bc

A Medal Index Card shows him with two service numbers,one as a Driver (probably a horseman) 867,and the other as a Bombardier 316026. The card has no date of entry into a war zone and we take this as being after 31 Dec 1915 as he was not entitled to the 1914-15 Star for service in such a war zone before that date. He would have received the British War and Victory Medals,also the Territorial Force War Medal and the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal.

1/1 Essex Heavy Battery first landed in France on 13 Mar 1916 and 152 Heavy Battery on 25 April 1916. There is a War Diary for 152 for a short period in 1916,ref WO95/396 which is filed at the National Archives at Kew,but not yet downloadable.

The ref you make to Okehampton is to a training area in the county of Devonshire England. You would like a story about here I think. My family,quite a few years ago, spent some time in this area,and in the summer holidays visitors were allowed to walk on the Army ranges. We enjoyed this and found a waterfall to sit near, to eat an energy snack. My wife chose a rock just near where the water fell into a stream below, I looked over the edge to assess the safety,and noticed a mortar bomb wedged between two rocks about a metre from her butt ! We decided that we would prefer the vista from the top of a hill instead !

The ref to Brentwood,the county of Essex,relates to some units being deployed around our eastern areas from the start of the war,in order to be ready for any enemy incursions.

You may glean some more info. from the service records of his contemporaries and possible friends. I haven't seen many records for these TF gunners but you will get some detail such as the 1912 training camp was at Okehampton between 3rd & 17th Aug. 1912. For 1913 they went to Shorncliffe & Lydd between 26th July & 9th Aug..

Their TF HQ were at Artillery House, Stratford, London. If you are lucky you may find another gunner who was transferred from the EA Essex HB RGA TF to the 152nd (Hackney) Heavy Battery which will give you better time line. This battery landed in France on the 25th April 1916. A quick look at the records and I see that 855/316040 Horace Davis's records are available. You should find plenty more.

Just noticed that sotonmate has just posted and given you the war diary references.

Kevin

Thanks very much. This information is very helpful - I will definitely persue these suggestions. Do you suppose there is a description anywhere of what the program of training at places like Okehampton was?

Also - do you think the iteration that was the 'East Anglia Essex Heavy Battery' (circa 1912-1914 pre-war) had any thing like a regimental journal, newspaper or operational diary? I've done some hunting and so far not found much of anything.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a full War Diary for the Essex Heavy Battery at the NA for their time in France. Although not that exciting it does include a highlight; that the 1/1 Essex RGA were the first heavy artillery unit to make it to Vimy Ridge during the famous battle; the Essex Heavy battery being part of the artillery support for the Canadians as part of 50 HAG.

There is a wonderful photo archive of the Essex RGA at the records office in Bury St Edmunds, the "Walton Burrell Archive", which is a photographic chronicle of the Essex RGA whilst training in Thetford, Suffolk in 1915. I have a full copy of the photos (5 hours well spent) and have put together an index. Unfortunately Dvr Barley is not amongst those photographed, but i would be happy to look up anyone for you, if you know of any of his mates you'd like photos of.

I am a big aficionado of all things Essex Artillery so would love to know more about any images or info you may have on them.

Dvr Barley did indeed receive a British War Medal, Victory Medal and Territorial Force War Medal. He received a Territorial Efficiency medal in 1923 as a Bombardier.

Hope this helps.

David

Thanks very much David. Especially for going through the Burrell collection. Too bad Dvr. Barley is not there. The only other name I have of who may have been with them is 'Sid Beard'. I tried to insert some pictures but am failing. The forum seems to have changed our ability to do that. I'll see if I can get a URL so I can share them with you.

Also, I am in the USA and have so far found only limited numbers of the Burrell photos online. Can't get to the UK to look for myself this year -- so thanks again for going through them.

Stay tuned - I'll get those pictures up soon.

Bobbie

David, I was succussful at loading three photographs in the Members Gallery section. I think the sharing link will appear below.

If you pm me your email address Bobbie i'll mail you over my index to see if there's anything you might like; Burrell was a bit of a pioneer of photography for his time, with most of his photos being much more natural than the usual very staid images we normally see.

David

I couldn't resist posting an example; this is what we used to call a "bundle" when i was still at school!

post-5610-0-84720400-1401576879_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

David,

These are fantastic! Thanks so much. I will pm you my email. I'd love to see the list.

Sorry for not responding earlier - I was travelling.

Bobbie

Also David, how did you find Sid Beard's reg. number? I've been going through pension records and medal index cards and can't seem to locate him anywhere. I tried UK census as well and no luck.

It would be interesting to learn something of his fate during the War.

bc

HI Bobbie,

Sid's MIC doesn't look to be on Ancestry, but it does exist at the NA; i've just sent you over the details. He doesn't have any surviving papers that i've found.

Cheers,

David

I am trying to obtain greater detail on the activities of the subject unit during this time frame in order to better describe the experiences of my grandfather during pre-war and the early part of the War. I already know he enlisted into the Territorial Force from West Ham in April 1912 and went into the Heavy Artillery.Then there is a big gap of information until he was reassigned to 152 Heavy Battery in January 1916 and stayed with them throughout the War fighting in Belgium and France.

• For example there were training locations 'Okehampton' and 'alloted positions in Brentwood' when war was first declaired, however that is all the description or insight I have found. Maybe no one wrote of it, or there were no unit diaries prior to the war with the mundance information I seem so addicted to. I'd love to fill this picture out better.

As an original member, grandfater would have been in 1/1 East Anglia 'Essex' Heavy Battery until the point he transferred out. Unfortunately, his service records are not available (probably lost as bomb/fire damage during WWII).

He is Francis (Frank) E Barley (signaller and driver 60 pounder) #316026.

It would be darn exciting if any other forum members with ancesters in the same unit happen to have photos too. I have a few and am happy to share.

bcarleton,

My grandfather was RSM. to 84 Heavy Brigade RGA. 152 Heavy Battery {Hackney) joined the Brigade in December 1917 and remained with them until at least the occupation of the Rhine. There is a site for 152 HB and on this forum a couple of years ago a photograph of the battery appeared. It received an award for the best turned out battery at the cologne horse show. I have 84 Brigade Diary for the period covering 152 HB in 1918. I have also completed some research into the Brigade, including 1918. I have no photographs but could let you know what they were up to in 1918.

Tony P

Hi Tony nice to hear from you again. I'll look for that photo but already have the diary for 84 Brigade. You sent it to me about 1 1/2 years ago. Time goes by so fast.

I was trying to reconstruct the 1/1 East Anglia Heavy Battery activities from 1912 through January 1916. So far the Burrell photos and accompanying notes seem to have the best information.

Best wishes

Bobbie

I've found very little on the Essex RGA for the 1912-1915 period other than what's resident in the Burrell archives - if anyone finds anything i'd love to know more too! I do have details on their pre TF incarnations as varying companies of the Essex Volunteer Artillery but i think that's too early for your purposes Bobbie.

David

• 1 year later...

Just adding to this thread my chap, 31604 Driver Hugh Davies. Killed in action on May 19th 1917. If by any miracle theres a photo or some more information it would be appreciated.

Hugh was born in Leytonstone, Essex and enlisted in Stratford.

Regards

Richard

post-2319-0-19772000-1437129791_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

I'm working on another man from the Essex, Alfred Reginald Hunt. He was Royal Field Artillery, but was transferred into the Essex some time after July 1916 when he was wounded, He was killed on the 22nd December 1917 near Mendinghem. My research so far is here:

http://www.woottonbassettinthegreatwar.uk/alfred-reginald-hunt/

• 5 years later...

Hello

I wondered if I could pick up some info  

My great uncle was in 1st/1st East Anglian (Essex) heavy battery, royal garrison artillery (TF) and I visited his grave this week, Minty Farm in Belgium, near Ypres and Passchendaele.  

name W W Dow

died 10.11.1917

service no 316370

The war diary doesn’t give too much info and neither does his medical record.  I’ve not looked up war info before.  
I could visit the Walton Burrell archive in Bury St Edmonds mentioned in a post above but don’t know if if he had joined by 1915. 

if anyone has any advice/info, I’d be very grateful. 

Judy

• 11 months later...

No sign of him in the Burrell archive i'm afraid Judy.

His medal entitlement was a British War Medal, Victory Medal and Memorial Plaque.

David