Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th class St Savage of Serbia confirmation

niimmm

Hi guys

I'm researching an officer in the RAMC called Roy Darley Clayton.

He went to the Felsted school and after medical studies he served on board a hospital ship Kildonan Castle.

Now on the Felsted archives they say he was awarded the above named serbian award

to paste from their website:

Roy Clayton1897-

1901Prefect. Cricket XI 1901. Football XI 1899-1900. LRCP, LRCS Edinburgh, LRFPS Glasgow, 1913. Temp Capt RAMC. 4th Class St Sava of Serbia. Medical Officer Denstone Coll, Staffordshire.

Please can someone help me to confirm that award. I can find in nowhere else in my searches.

Thank you

Simon

Hi Simon
I have a database of over 37.000 names of Commonwealth service men & women awarded Foreign awards for WW1 up to 1926, most are Gazetted (approx 85 %) & the rest are confirmed from other sources, War diaries & Associations such as the Red Cross(who were given permission to receive some foreign awards without going through the Gazette).

I do not have Roy Darley Clayton on my list. I am not stating that my database is 100%, but it must be very close. All I can suggest is checking War diaries, local Newspapers & if his service/pension papers have survived.
If his service/pension are available, they may not have any mention of foreign awards, as I have searched some known recipients papers & not all have the awards mentioned. I think that the papers must have been thinned out over the years.

All I ask is, if you do find any thing regarding his award could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Thanks

Peter

• 3 weeks later...