Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CSM Frank Floyd MSM, one medal found...

robwilliams

A short story regarding my first cousin's medals. I am interested in both family and military history and have recently renewed my subscription to Ancestry.

I was researching my Floyd family and was looking at electoral registers for Birmingham in the inter-war period. I had researched Frank's father and noticed Frank was with him in about 1930 but not either side of that date. So I then thought I'd look for Frank. The first result came back with the Absent Voters' List, clicking on that I was shocked and surprised to see that the address was the same as for his father. This gave me a regiment, Royal Warwicks, and a number, or rather two, as he was a Territorial. Excitedly I went to look at the medal index cards which confirmed original Territorial, the fact that he became a CSM and that he received an MSM for Italy.

More in hope than expectation I looked for a service record and was amazed to find one, one that confirmed the link between the two regimental numbers and the link to the family. By this time I was well chuffed.

I then looked for another family member but with no luck, so I emailed an ex-work colleague. He too, failed to find anything. I replied to him thanking him for his efforts and mentioned that I had had success with Floyd. Imagine my feelings when he texted me back to say, "Guess whose 1915 Star I have in my collection?" He had bought this medal only 4 months before and was busy downloading his service record. He agreed to sell the medal to me, as I am family, for which I am eternally grateful.

So, don't give up on your research or your search! If anyone has the WM VM pair or the MSM to CSM 2466/200495 Frank Floyd of the 1/5 Royal Warwicks I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Rob

Birmingham newspapers for ww1 are pretty good so you might find something there