Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hubert Pennington CATTLEY - Private Manchester Regt

phil1963

Private Manchester Regiment.

Died March 14th 1917.

He had family around Steyning in Sussex.

Can anybody add any more details to this casualty?

Thanks ahead,

Phil.

Edited by phil1963

Phil

Volunteered 25 September 1914 in St James's and joined the Middlesex Regt (service number 1018) and sent to France on 17 November 1915. Transferred to 22nd Manchesters (no. 44321) on 1 November 1916, killed on 14 March 1917.

Pre-war, he worked as a bank clerk, born in Brighton in around 1890. His mother was Lilian Cattley of 17 Hyde Park Terrace, London W1. He is buried at Gommecourt British Cemetery (No 2).

His Medal Index Card and Service Records are on ancestry.

C

• 1 month later...

Private Manchester Regiment.

Died March 14th 1917.

He had family around Steyning in Sussex.

Can anybody add any more details to this casualty?

Thanks ahead,

Phil.

Hi there.

I've not posted before so apologies if I get this wrong. Anyway, Hubert was my great uncle. My grandmothers brother. I have some photos of him. One as a child and one older. He went to Eton then Oxford. His grandfather and grandmother, parents of Lilian were Radical Liberals. He was an MP and she a Suffragist. They lived at Hyde Park Terrace and Broome Hall (later to be owned by Oliver Reid). Lilian was one of the first women to study mathematics at Cambridge. I understand Hubert was killed by a sniper but no idea if that's true. Am I allowed to ask what you know of him and your interest? We've no idea where his medals etc are but we have some heart breaking letters written by him from France. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best wishes. Louise

Hi,

I am researching a war memorial at a cricket club on which he is listed. Cheeky, but I would love to see/use the photograph and letters of/from him in the book I am writing about the memorials. The book is 99% complete and will be published in April next year. I have a bit more information about him which I have researched. Phil.

Louise

The "killed by a sniper" may well be true. However, letters from comrades or officers referring to a death often use phrases like that to soften the blow, if you will, suggesting a death was instant and painless. Not always the case.

Alastair Cowan's recently written history of 22/Manchester indicates he was killed in a hastily planned small scale attack on German trenches near Bucquoy. It was an advance through thick mud which left the men open to German artillery and machine gun fire. As they approached the German trenches, many of them found they couldnt fire their rifles as the barrels had become blocked with mud. It was a costly affair with 24 men killed, 52 wounded and 65 missing after the attack. Whether he was one of the those recorded as "killed" or "missing" may depend on the nature of the information you have about the sniper. If, for example, the information suggests comrades actually buried him then the "killed" is perhaps likely. If not, then possibly he was one who died under the artillery and machine gun fire in No Man's Land and, probably, his body was not recovered for some time.

John

Hi there.

I've not posted before so apologies if I get this wrong. Anyway, Hubert was my great uncle. My grandmothers brother. I have some photos of him. One as a child and one older. He went to Eton then Oxford. His grandfather and grandmother, parents of Lilian were Radical Liberals. He was an MP and she a Suffragist. They lived at Hyde Park Terrace and Broome Hall (later to be owned by Oliver Reid). Lilian was one of the first women to study mathematics at Cambridge. I understand Hubert was killed by a sniper but no idea if that's true. Am I allowed to ask what you know of him and your interest? We've no idea where his medals etc are but we have some heart breaking letters written by him from France. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best wishes. Louise

Louise,

It would be great if you could share the letters as jpegs on here. This private material sometimes helps solve other questions relating to other men.

Tim

Wow! How amazing to see all of this. Thank you.

Tim - I'll very happily share the letters as jpegs. Although I don't remember there being any mention of anyone else sadly. It may take me a short while, as they're kept by my Mother in Sussex. I wont forget though, promise.

Themonsstar - Thank you for the medal roll pages. Would you think me an idiot if I confessed to not knowing what they mean? Is it that someone was given his medal? It was rumoured in the family that it was given to his regiment but I don't think that's true.

John - How wonderful to have so much information. Thank you, thank you. 'More than a Name' caught my eye. Hubert's Grandfather was the Liberal MP for Stockport. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Penningtonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Pennington I think that's why he would have leaned towards joining the Manchesters but I've no idea if he'd have had any choice in the matter. He's certainly not forgotten by me or our family, although I lost the battle to call my son Hubert!

Phil - I'm so grateful to you for getting this started. I'll happily share the photographs. I've learnt so much from you all, thank you. I had no idea he volunteered, or that he was a bank clerk. My Grandmother (his brother) always said he 'was a bit, you know' but I never managed to get out of her what 'you know' was. I think he was 'sent down' from Oxford too which is intriguing. My hope is that he was a bit wild and had enormous fun before facing the horrors in France. He's mentioned on the Reform Club memorial and the one at Eton too & I've been to pay my respects at his graveside in Gommecourt. If I promise to buy your book none the less, would you mind telling me what else you know?

Thank you, thank you to such super experts.

Louise

• 1 month later...

To Greensweetpea,

Need to make contact with you concerning family. Hubert and cousins Cyril F and Gerald W. We are both related via common ancestor Robert Cattley of Clifford and Bramham 1690-1764, you through his son Thomas and self through Robert Cattley of York.

Felis

• 2 months later...

Hello John

So sorry for the silence. I did try and email you but it bounced back. I have a photograph of Hubert when he was young but its in hard copy. How do I make contact with you? I've also retrieved the letters from my Mother and will scan and upload as soon as possible.

Hello Felis

Lovely to hear from you. I'd be keen to make contact, as is my Mother. We know very little about the Cattley side of the family so its exciting, thank you for your post. The problem is I just don't know how to go about it. Should I give you my private email address or telephone number? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please forgive the haste of this email. My desk is madness at the moment.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards and thank you

Louise

Hello Louise

Hubert Pennington Cattley was my father's first cousin - about whom I've known very little except that he was killed in the war and went to Eton and Magdalene College. There is another memorial to the Cattley cousins (Gerald, Cyril and Hubert) on the Magdalene memorial wall. My father was born in 1908 so missed the Great War. His father Stephen Wildman Cattley (Hubert's father's brother) died when Dad was 16 - too young to be interested in family history.

I do, however, know a great deal about our close family and have many photos and letters which you may be interested to see. I'd also love to hear about your side of the family. It seems we're quite closely related. I've always been very sorry for Wildman. HIs wife Carrie died in 1915 and then three grandsons died in the Great War, of whom he was especially fond because their fathers had died so young. He was a very nice man, by all accounts.

I have two question for the historians. Would anyone know why he was a private? I've read this is extremely unusual for Etonians?

Gerald died of blackwater fever in the 'Gold Coast' (now Ghana). He's on the Eton memorial, but not their private book of rememberance - of which I have a copy. Would anyone know why (other than a simple mistake)?

Thanks. Nicola Laurence (dictated to my daughter as I'm a novice at all this)

I think Steven Wildman Cattley played cricket for Surrey and a Cattley is buried in the cemetery at Dorking, Surrey .... not sure which one though aprt from he too was a cricketer ..... as I featured him in one of my cricketers' graves books.

Phil.

• 7 months later...

Dear Louise,

I have organised an exhibition at the Reform Club in which Hubert Pennington Cattley figures - he is listed on the Reform Club's war memorial - and am preparing an illustrated catalogue.

I have searched in vain for a picture of the man both for the exhibition and the catalogue and would very much appreciate it if you could let me see the ones you have. The letters that he wrote are also items of great interest to my research.

If you could help, I should be very grateful.

Peter

PS

Hubert Pennington Cattley in fact attended Merton College, not Magdalene, and is remembered on the war memorial there.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

I am Web & Media Officer at Merton College, Oxford, where (as someone has pointed out) Hubert Pennington Cattley was a student before the Great War. To mark the centenary of the outbreak of the war, I compiled a record of the members of Merton College who are commemorated on the College's war memorial, among them Cattley. The record is available to visitors to the College who wish to find out about the people and lives behind the names on the memorial; details of some of those commemorated are also available online at http://share.merton.ox.ac.uk/exhibits/show/merton-at-war.

I would very much like to be able to add any further information that people can provide to the record, and in particular I would especially value a photograph of Cattley. I would be happy to provide a photo of his name as it appears on the memorial, should anyone want one.
Simon Cope