Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wisden tribute to fallen cricketers of first world war

trajan

Kevin

I have sent your suggestion about Poppies to Hampshire and the ECB and already received a response that it is 'very helpful'.

Thank you.

Sky Sports will be showing a short film about AEJ Collins and Colin Blythe from 10.30 tomorrow.

I will be talking to David Gower before the minute's silence at start of play, and then I am due on Test Match Special at lunchtime.

Andrew. we will be glued metaphorically to TMS tomorrow lunchtime. By the by I don't know if you saw some additions to the thread on Weld-Blundell? Not cricket related but interesting to me at least. Enjoy tomorrow, the Bowl is looking lovely from the coverage I've seen.

Pete.

Andrew, an excellent appearance on TMS; it was really nice to hear your dulcet tones. Did you get any of the cake?

Pete.

• Admin

I didn't hear all the interview (work beckoned) but I thought it was very interesting and you came across very well Andrew, better than Mr Frith if I may say so!

Michelle

I agree that Andrew was extremely good. There was a very interesting short feature on AEJ Collins broadcast during the tea break on TMS, presented by John Inverdale, also an old boy of Clifton College. The lunchtime discussion clearly struck a chord and there were some good contributions from listeners and pundits during the afternoon.

I didn't hear all the interview (work beckoned) but I thought it was very interesting and you came across very well Andrew, better than Mr Frith if I may say so!

Michelle

I think I heard them say that the interview was available as a podcast. Worth hearing it all and as Mark said worth hearing the feature about Collins which was nicely done and quite insightful.

Pete.

P.S. Can I pick your brains about places to stay in the Lys valley? Would a PM be ok?

Thank you for your generous comments about TMS.

The podcast is available here:

A listener says it was "the most moving TMS broadcast ever".

I started the day with an interview on Sky with David Gower and Mike Atherton. Mike told the story of Major Booth.

Sky showed the film of Blythe and Collins which can be seen here:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/cricket/9398910/cricketers-of-ww1

Scyld Berry in today's Sunday Telegraph quotes this line from the poet Geoffrey Fyson:

"Ours to remember, yours to rest."

It is the last line of Fyson's poem To a Fallen Comrade in The Survivors.

It is no coincidence that the words appear on the dedication page of my book 'Wisden on the Great War'.

I discussed it with Scyld at the Test match last Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/11007801/How-the-First-World-War-cut-short-the-careers-of-cricketers-Percy-Jeeves-and-Frank-Chester.html

For more cricket / WW1 reading, there's also an article on schoolboy cricketers by Anthony Seldon (Public Schools and the Great War) in today's Sunday Times.

Having been at the Rose Ageas Bowl on Tuesday (and Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday :thumbsup: ), I missed the TMS interview, because the racket round the ground (particularly the big screens showing Sky's programme on Collins) meant that hearing anything in breaks was impossible. The ground also had attendance from Help for Heroes on the Tuesday, and also gave, apparently, 1,000 tickets free to service personnel (one of whom flogged his complementary tickets to a chap I know, for £20), though these were not apparent.

On a bright note, I finally received a copy of the book today from Mrs Broomfield (getting older has its advantages), and another book regarding a cricket hero fell - the great Hedley Verity - 10 for 10, by Chris Waters. (Verity, playing for Yorkshire took all 10 against Notts in 1932, and died of wounds in Italy (he was wounded in Sicily, was captured and evacuated to Caserta) in 1943. He was an officer in the Green Howards.).

I am so far. Mrs Broomfield (to her credit) hasn't told me to stop reading bits out (yet).

My copy arrived yesterday and I am just about holding off starting it until tomorrow (4th) as that seemed fitting.

What a delight to see it in a proper yellow cover and Wisden livery. Can hardly wait...

Daggers

"Every careful reader will find his own way around this book. Those looking for specific individuals would have been helped by an alphabetical index at the end of the work, [fair comment] but that is the only serious criticism one would wish to make. Certainly it is not a book to be read in conventional fashion; rather, readers might want to dip into the major sections before going off to do something both trivial and important like buying a loaf of bread or walking the dog. Wisden on the Great War helps one to value the simple joys of being alive...

"Few cricket writers produce a work that makes the game seem both irrelevant and essential. By putting together Wisden on the Great War, Renshaw has called his almost 2000 subjects to report for duty once again and remind us of the lives they had no chance to lead...

"In due course, perhaps, Renshaw can be persuaded to assemble and enlarge upon the lives of the cricketers who died in the Second World War.

"For the moment he deserves a break and can relax in the confidence that he has given us one of the books of the year."

"Every careful reader will find his own way around this book. Those looking for specific individuals would have been helped by an alphabetical index at the end of the work, [fair comment] but that is the only serious criticism one would wish to make".

Great to see that the book is still attracting hugely positive responses; as I have alluded to before if I knew which page I wanted from an index I would not stumble across so many intriguing stories. As long as I can remember what I was looking in the first place it is not a problem for me.

Pete.

Pete

Have you stumbled across Burrows (1919) yet?

Son of Abimelech, he was in the Massachusetts State Guards.

"… Most of the players in Needham, Mass., came originally from the East Midlands, having been driven to America, where they set up knitting businesses, by the industrialisation of the British textile industry. For a generation, Needham Heights was more English in character than the rest of town, and was famous for numerous cricket teams of varying levels: the mills had house teams, the neighbourhoods had pick-up teams, some of the local organisations had teams, and players turned out for several…"

A slice of English and American social history.

Pete

Have you stumbled across Burrows (1919) yet?

Andrew

I am sure you already know the answer to that question, however I will stumble across it later. Burrows and the Shredded Wheat chap may come in handy with a long term project that I am working on. My mate Charlie hails originally from Milwaukee and has a huge interest in and knowledge of WW1 amongst many other things. My project is to explain cricket to him and any US examples with a WW1 connection will be of value. I went to my only baseball game with him and I think I understood the basics, however cricket may present a bigger challenge. He can't get his mind around a sport which has meal breaks and can last for five days without a definite winner for a start. I don't know where I would start with backward short leg, silly point and third man. Should be fun trying though.

Quite apart from the foregoing I've noticed that as I browse certain words jump from the page. The latest is Hulluch; a young lieutenant having died of wounds or gas there on the first day of the battle of Loos. One of my footballers was killed there after the battle proper and another won the MC organising the wiring of the exposed front line. I'm sure it will be something else tomorrow.

Pete.

P.S. My sis was really impressed with your appearance on TMS but was sightly bemused that Aggers seemed more enthusiastic about the cake.

Pete

Pleased that the American stories may be of special interest. I believe the book goes on sale over there this month.

As for Aggers, granted that it is easier to get your head round a piece of cake than my book, he did his research and found the letter from Thomas Loder-Symonds to his mother (p147), and was really interested in the topic.

Andrew

Pete

Pleased that the American stories may be of special interest. I believe the book goes on sale over there this month.

As for Aggers, granted that it is easier to get your head round a piece of cake than my book, he did his research and found the letter from Thomas Loder-Symonds to his mother (p147), and was really interested in the topic.

Andrew

I would be very interested to know how well it goes in the States. I know that soccer is flavour of the month over there at the moment. If only the Hollywood Cricket Club still had the cachet it once had. As for getting your head around a piece of cake that is a fair point which borders on being a universal truth. I'm tempted dash out to the shops and get my head around a Victoria sponge.

Pete.

I would be very interested to know how well it goes in the States. I know that soccer is flavour of the month over there at the moment. If only the Hollywood Cricket Club still had the cachet it once had. As for getting your head around a piece of cake that is a fair point which borders on being a universal truth. I'm tempted dash out to the shops and get my head around a Victoria sponge.

Pete.

Pete

I think you might have to forego the rules and move straight on to the atmosphere with your American pal. How about showing him footage of David Gower cover driving - that should do it.

David

PS Sharon is in Mary Berry's league when it comes to Victoria sponges. I shall be sure to bring one to next year's conference. We could offer slices for correct answers to 'WIT live'.

PPS Andrew - if I am not prepared for the new school year I'm blaming you and your infernally, brilliant book which I find difficult enough to put down when the alternative is food, let alone lesson preparation

I think you might have to forego the rules and move straight on to the atmosphere with your American pal. How about showing him footage of David Gower cover driving - that should do it.

PS Sharon is in Mary Berry's league when it comes to Victoria sponges. I shall be sure to bring one to next year's conference. We could offer slices for correct answers to 'WIT live'.

Not an option. It has to be the full monty or nothing. Confused? he will be.

Re. Mrs R's Victoria sponge as Bill Murray says in Ghostbusters "I love this plan, I'm excited to be a part of it". I'm counting off the days already.

I've just stumbled upon the W.B. Yeats connection; yet another priceless gem.

Pete.