Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914-15 Star made of white metal?

gem22

A friend of mine has just purchased a trio to a S Lancs soldier in which the '14-'15 Star is made of a white metal. I cannot be sure if it contains silver but that is what it looks like. The medal is very clean and crisp and, according to his MIC it should be genuine - I have checked that.

My question is this - Were any 14-15 Stars made of a white metal? I had only seen stars in the 'bronze' metal previously and wonder if this is a restrike or is there another explanation?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Garth

Garth,

There are examples where people had their 14 or 14-15 Stars silver plated at their own expense, possibly this is one of these.

All the best,

Paul.

I've also seen copies/replicas made in white metal. Some of them are very good and can of course be stamped with the appropriate name/rank/serial... which would match the medal card detail

Perhaps it's one of these?

Maybe uploading pics of front/back will help.

Regards

Ian

Ian

I would need to get them off the owner and I'm not sure he would want to know if he has been scammed!!

Someone may have attempted to clean the Star in old Silver dip, which could ended up with the Star effectively being silver plated. It could also a simple case that the recipient preferred silver medals and had it plated. Years ago I was given a Khedive's Star which had been plated at some point - personally I think it is horrible, but what can you say with a gift.

Sepoy

I have seen stars chrome plated--infact I have one to an artilleryman which has been treated in this way.

Robert

Sepoy - not much you can do about presents. Just smile and say thanks.

Robert - Chrome plated!! for me that's a no no but no accounting for taste. lol

Garth

Has anyone tried to remove chrome from a medal? Can it be done or would it destroy the medal?

khaki

Are there any visible cast lines on the edge of the medal, can you see vertical shear marks?

There are indeed base metal copies being sold online with a 'bronzed' finish.

It is impossible for anyone to come up with a conclusive opinion with out photograph(s). It would also be nice to know the exact weight of the medal in grams.

I would never remove any plating from a medal of historical importance. It can be done with acids, but if you are not an experienced chemist, what you will find is that once the acid has removed the plate it will leave pitting in your medal if not attended to quickly. Would you regret ever attempting it? I think so.