Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Un-named WWI Campaign Medals

P.B.

I'm currently looking to complete a family medal group by replacing the missing medals, in this case the 1914/15 Star and British War Medal. I have two questions:

Whats the score regarding the "original" un-named WWI medals I sometimes see on eBay and dealer's lists. Are these actually genuine pieces, or not? If they are, who would you recommend and how much -roughly- should I pay?

In terms of getting modern replacements -apparantly the Army Medal Office can no longer furnish replacement WWI medals as they are no longer being minted- who would you recommend in terms of dealers? Some BWM copies I've seen are very poor, with a very oversized suspender, whilst the details on the crown and cypher of the Star are often wonky to say the least.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.

All the best

Paul.

Paul

The reproduction war medals I have seen are for the most part Junk. Period medals are scarce to find unnamed more common are erased medals I do not condone this practice but you can not undo the damage once done. I just mount the group with a blank ribbon and if a unnamed medal comes along will add it later. I am not sure about the reproduction Stars I have seen one it was not to bad. As for the price there are a large number of broken groups and I have seen blanks fetch as much or more as named medals I recently bought a blank Victory for 20 Canadian which I felt was decent.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

On both eBay and Speedbid you regularly see erased WW1 campaign medals for sale. Unfortunately they are more common than I like to see :(

Many thanks to everyone who responded, and the people who took time out to send me e-mails.

The proliferation of erased medals on eBay and Speedbid, and especailly their prices in comparison to named medals, is indeed a worrying trend. I personally would never condone the erasure of any medals to complete a broken group. When "collectors" who do this say things like "Well, it's only an ASC Victory Medal..." it makes me wonder....

Harsh, but just my opinion.

Cheers

Paul.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I agree with the sentiments but what are dealers to do with the ASC/RA/RE/RAMC medals that we all seem to end up with and can't do anything with?

There are one or two notable 'Corps' collectors but not enough to buy up anything.

I do not condone the practice but understand why it is rife.

Ian

I agree with the sentiments but what are dealers to do with the ASC/RA/RE/RAMC medals that we all seem to end up with and can't do anything with?

There are one or two notable 'Corps' collectors but not enough to buy up anything.

I do not condone the practice but understand why it is rife.

Ian

Very true, Ian.

And whilst I condemn the erasure myself, I would buy an already erased 1914-15 Star to complete this group. Two-faced -possibly, practical -definitely.

I know it's a narrow distinction, but at least the medal would already be erased, rather than me purchasing it for that express purpose. A case of "damage done".

All the best

Paul.

It is rather sad about the scant regard paid to the corps, although I have a friend who has a lovely service corps collection. One of his specialties is tracking down examples of all the various prefixes on the 14-18 ASC medals.

After reading this thread, I'm wanting a victory medal awarded to my grandfather, I'm now feeling not a chance in hell am I going to find it. So I wondered if I could get an erased medal and have it re-engraved to my grandfathers details ? Although I'm asking this this, if it could be done, I don't know if I could go through with it as it's like erasing someone elses history that they risked there life for !!

Regards

Noe

Pals,

To me the simple answer to the missing medal problem is to buy a named single to an under-valued corps, i.e. as cheaply as possible. As it is NOT the actual medal required to complete the group it is surely irrelevant whether it is named to someone else or erased? Furthermore, if it is in as near to the same condition as the rest of the group then it will be indistinguishable from them. If the 'filler' is a 'lowly' single to a Corps then it will be no great loss to the medal collecting fraternity while it temporarily out of circulation, filling a gap in your group, BUT it will be saved from the unscrupulous who see such medals as more valuable erased than named. Remember, if we stopped buying erased medals then the market would die out. Simple rules of supply and demand.

Regards

Steve

I have a few ww1 medals, and none of my grandfathers, the only sevice medal he was awarded was a victory. So a filler would be no good to me. Could I get a replica with his name engraved ? or better still an un-named then get his details engraved ?

Noe

The Victory Medal is not awarded on its own he must have had a War medal also. The War medal can be awarded as a single but would not have got to France. I am sure you could find someone to engrave a medal for you I do not know of anyone who does medals to order.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.