Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt John William Porter 13th battalion tank corp kia

Hi

I apolagise if ive put this in the wrong section im trying to research John William porter 2nd Lt as I have his medals he dies 4th july 1918 according to the book tanks and trenches he was run over by his own tank while directing it on foot I am trying to find out the number of the tank he was in

Thank you

Matthew hUNT

Welcome to the Forum !

WO329/2266 page 108E is the original Medal Roll at the National Archives and will probably show his unit served,and from that you can trace the War Diary and it may show the unit dispositions re-tank crews. He didn't land until 1 Feb 1918 according to his MIC.He lived in Streatham,London. He has a service record at Kew under WO339/82604.

According to Landships transcripts he does not appear to have been in either B or C Company at first glance.....

https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1918/100days

May well be further indication in the War Diary.

PS If you need to find a home for him in the future please get in touch !!

However, 13th Battalion Regimental History says he was "B" Company.

It says he was accidently killed on the 5th July, the day after Hamel, when they were moving their tanks to another position he was guiding his tank down to a sunken road when it slipped down on him and caused injuries from which he subsequently died.

War Diary WO95/115 for 13 Battalion Tank Corps ,1918-19,but not yet digital.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply im very grateful and will follow it up...over the years ive got loads of bits that ive often wondered about. .when I get a chance I will put some photos up of something I bought at auction many years ago the diarys and all photos of Maj Fernie G battalion tank Corp commander and it has a lot of large photos named and a picture panaramic of the whole company which is very interesting..

Thanks Again

Matthew

That's interesting Matthew, I have a few guys from G/7th Battalion I'll drop you some names in case one of them features in a photo !

Lt GH Adney MC

2Lt WT Parkes MC

Sgt TH Harris DCM

WO AE Worster MSM

Sgt H Machin

Pte P Cornish

ATB Geoffrey

Matthew

The number of 2/Lt Porter's tank was 9081, a Mark V Male. It was drawn from Central Workshops by B Company 13th Battalion on 17th May 1918. It was in action on 4th July under the command of 2/Lt Porter when it was recorded as having been pitted by bullets. After 2/Lt Porter's death it was taken over by 2/Lt V.K. Maitland.

I would also be very interested in the papers and photos you hold on G Battalion. There are some significant gaps in the documents relating to this Battalion so hearing that more papers exist is very exciting.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...

That's interesting Gwyn as I also have Maitlands MC group, I had forgotten he was 13th Battalion. If I recall correctly there is a short resume of each of 13th Battalion's officers in the regimental history that Fernie wrote.

• 2 years later...
Guest englishbob
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2014 at 19:59, matt1967 said:

Thank you both for taking the time to reply im very grateful and will follow it up...over the years ive got loads of bits that ive often wondered about. .when I get a chance I will put some photos up of something I bought at auction many years ago the diarys and all photos of Maj Fernie G battalion tank Corp commander and it has a lot of large photos named and a picture panaramic of the whole company which is very interesting..

Thanks Again

Matthew

I have been a group member for a long time but I think this is my first post. Matthew, did you ever share any of the pictures or documents mention re-G/7 Battalion? I am consolidating my family history, my Grandfather was 40246 Gnr. C.R.Cooke Tank Corps, I have some pictures, letters and medals. I really would like to see anything new. Regards. Bob 

• 2 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 20:41, Sidearm said:

Glad to see this has been revived.  My interest in these documents is unabated.

Gwyn

Ditto !

The 13th Battalion Hamel detail is thin. I am presuming that the six officers who got MCs and the 4 Officers brought to the COs notice were all tank commanders on the basis they were all 2Lts. The question is which tanks !!?

I would also love to know more about Fernie - he was a fascinating character and his diaries should be well worth a read.

John

• 3 years later...

Originally Int Corps. Got a DSO. Ended up Commanding 4 RTR in June 1940 after its previous CO was killed during the Arras counter attack.