Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Stretton Tebbett

Guest BettyHeath33

Guest BettyHeath33

My husband is trying to research a relative called William Stretton Tebbett. He was a lance-corporal when he died in 1916. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliers according to my brother-in-law. Can anyone find any information on him?

Thanks

Good morning Betty,

I can`t tell you much, but......

William Stratton Tebbett

1st/6 Northumberland Fusiliers No.6/5668

K I A on 11th August 1916

MIC lists;- Roll; 0/1/105 B4

Page; 675

To add that the 1st/ 6th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers were Territorials and, according to the Long Long Trail (here), they arrived in France in April 1915, although it seems from L/ Cpl Tebbett's Medal Index Card that he wasn't there until after 31 December 1915, as he does not appear to have qualified for a 1914-15 Star.

He is buried at the Lonsdale Cemetery at Authuille in the Somme, 5 km to the north of Albert. The CWGC records that his father was William Tebbett.

Welcome to the Forum !

1/6 Northumberland Fusiliers were part of 149 Brigade of 50 Division and were in the vicinity of the Somme battles during 1916,though not fighting one at the time of William's death. They were due to take part at Flers-Courcelette in mid Sept,and were holding the front line in one of the sectors,which you can discover more about by getting information from the unit War Diary which is at the National Archives under ref.WO95/2829 and runs from Jun to Oct 1916,not yet digital though,so will need a look up on site. I will see if I can do that next week and let you know about the nature of casualties on the 11 Aug 1916.

As has been said here William is buried in Lonsdale Cemetery,Authuille. It seems likely that he had initially been buried elsewhere,the cemetery notes show that some consolidation of several smaller places were made after the war,and his section of graves seem to be in that category.

Enlisted Derby.

Born Linton Heath , Derbyshire Mar qtr 1893.

1911 census he was a coal miner aged 18 living with his uncle at Whitwell near Mansfield.

My husband is trying to research a relative called William Stretton Tebbett. He was a lance-corporal when he died in 1916. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliers according to my brother-in-law. Can anyone find any information on him?

Thanks

Betty

I have a few pages from the War Diary of 6 NF from Jun to Nov 1916 which I can send in digipics,but need your e-mail by Personal Message here.