Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'das Gewehr des Schreibers'

trajan

A German military text I am studying mentions 'das Gewehr des Schreibers', which literally means ( I think!), 'the rifle of the writers'... I assume it is not some form of rifle disguised as a super-large pencil... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any leads on this!

Trajan

Artists' Rifles? :D

More likely the writer's own rifle... 'des' is the singular possessive.

Regards,

MikB

There used to be a family of gun-smiths in Wurzburg called the Schreibers (whose guns are now collectors items) possibly a rifle made by one of them?

The context

Artists' Rifles? :D

More likely the writer's own rifle... 'des' is the singular possessive.

Regards,

MikB

Nice one Mike! :thumbsup:

My mistake there - I just re-checked the text and it is 'des', The context is the weapons allocated to a headquarters staff, and so I am thinking that the clerks shared a single rifle between them?

Julian

EDIT@ scribe out

Oh, just found a 1909 listing of the officers and ncos' of the Infanterie-Regiment Vogel von Falckenstein (7. Westfälisches) Nr. 56, and this lists - among others - the following:

• Regiments-Schreiber: Feldwebel Wöhrmann
  • I. Bataillon: Bataillons-Schreiber: Vizefeldwebel Ehlebracht
  • II. Bataillon: Bataillons-Schreiber: Vizefeldwebel Beikirch
  • III. Bataillon: Bataillons-Schreiber: Vizefeldwebel

So, perhaps what it really means is that the Headquarter's staff has its own 'Hauptquartier-Schreiber' who has his own personal rifle, his assistants having their regular weapons?

It just translates as 'the writer's rifle'. So if 'Writer' was a post at several levels, it could be any of those - depending on the level of the HQ in context - or in other contexts, whoever happened to be writing the text.

Regards,

MikB

Can you give us the sentence it occurs in, Julian. And perhaps, for good measure, the sentences before and after.

Is it an ironic reference to a pen? 'The writer's weapon' . The pen being mightier than the sword, and all that

Well, it's in the 'Examples of markings' section of the 1877 Bezeichnung und Numeriren text, in the subsection on markings used for headquarters unit personnel, and here it is between the one before and after:

Kommando einer Kavallerie=Division, z.B. der Garde=

resp. 3. Kavallerie=Division, Pistol Nr.2. G. C.D.2., 3.C.D.2.

Kommando einer Infanterie=Brigade, z.B. der 3. Garde=

resp. I5. Infanterie=Brigade, das Gewehr des Schreibers 3.G. İ.B., 15.İ.B.

Kommando einer Kavallerie=Brigade, z.B. der 1. Garde=

resp. 6. Kavallerie=Brigade, Kavalleriesäbel a/M. Nr.5. 1.G.C.B.5., 6.C.B.5.

My thinking is that this refers to the marking necessary for the rifle supplied to what we might term as the 'Headquarters Senior clerk'!

Is it an ironic reference to a pen? 'The writer's weapon' . The pen being mightier than the sword, and all that

As Mr Pratchett said only if its a very long sharp pen and an extremely short sword. I think this is another of those cases where having more of the context to start with the answers might have been better. In the meantime here is an early example of at real Gewehr des Schreibers being from 1860 and made by a J Schreiber http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/AKMSU/Misc137.jpg

That's what I was hoping! A kind of really fancy pen - e.g., http://www.ebay.de/itm/Einzigartig-Weltweit-Jagd-u-Repetier-Gewehr-Schreiber-in-Edelholz-gedrechselt-/310906048854

As Mr Pratchett said only if its a very long sharp pen and an extremely short sword. I think this is another of those cases where having more of the context to start with the answers might have been better. In the meantime here is an early example of at real Gewehr des Schreibers being from 1860 and made by a J Schreiber http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/AKMSU/Misc137.jpg

Yes centurion, I should have put it in its proper context - but I was hoping somebody would quickly say "Yes, the rifle of the ***, the man in a unit who ***!". I think (hope?) that it is solved for now - as post 9. But thanks for sending the Schreiber photograph! Impressive looking piece! (But why is it that people never edit their toecaps out of these display photographs...???!!!)

My thinking is that this refers to the marking necessary for the rifle supplied to what we might term as the 'Headquarters Senior clerk!

Yep, that's how I would read it.

A pencil disguised as a rifle

(Jokes! :D)

Anywho...Maybe its talking about a writer, that entered the war...there may have been some speciality about something to do with his rifle?

Just a idea...

Or Possibly, a messenger....WW1 used messenger people...Maybe a specialty about his rifle instead :D