Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4th Leicestershire Regiment on 18th March 1918

Dbaulch

Dear Forum

Does anyone have the btn war diary for the 2/4th Leicestershires for 1918? I'd like to confirm or deny that there was a trench raid on 18th March 1918 in the early hours where 2nd Lt William Berridge earned the MC

Much appreciated as always

Dav

Edited by Dbaulch

Dav,

19th March 1918 BULLECOURT.

Raid at 8am by 2nd Lt. BERRIDGE & 8 OR. One prisoner captured, 3 killed, no casualties to us.

Relieved at night by 2/6th S. Stafford Regt.

Regards.

Llew.

Wow, thank you so much! We didnt know he was wounded and you have confirmed he was with the 2/4th for a while. CWGC have him with the 5th but this may have been while he was sergeant.

2 questions:

Can you tell where they were when the raid occured?

Do you have a transcription by any chance?

Thanks again

Dav

Sorry I mean to say when he was wounded rather than when the raid occured, can you tell me where they were Llew?

Good Morning Dav,

The battalion diary shows, Mory on the 20th, 21st & 22nd, they were in divisional reserve on the 20th, but were stood to at 4.45am.

Do you know anything about his Military Medal?

Formerly 1822/240285 Sgt. William Alfred Berridge, 1/5th Battalion, a resident of Brick Kiln Lane, Shepshed.

William was a pre war Territorial enlisting in Shepshed around 24th February 1914.

The 1918 Absent Voters List also shows 3 brothers serving.

If you would like to pm your email details I'll be more than happy to let you have the diary entries.

Regards.

Llew.

Thanks so much. Another gap in our knowledge filled thanks to this wonderful forum!

if you could email details to dav.baulch@parexel.com that would be great Llew.

We know nothing about his MM, it has stumped us. We have the announcement in the London Gazette but there isnt any detail of when, where or how it was gained. Any advice on how to proceed is greatly welcomed.

He was 1 of 5 brothers who served and amazingly they all made it back. The sad end to the story is that William, who made it all the way through the war, died in the flu epidemic in Feb 1919.

We're also wondering if it is possible to tell when he joined the 2/4th from the 5th just from the war diary? My sneaking suspicion is that he transfered at the same time he got his commision

Dav,

Email sent, so please feel free to delete your email address and if you have any problems with the mail then please let me know here.

I've not come across William in the 1/5th diary and I'm not to sure whether he gets a mention in the official history, which is available free online here,

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17369/17369-h/17369-h.htm

He is recorded on the MM list in the back of the book, so if you've not already read the book, it might be worth your time in searching for William. I would also assume that he joined the 2/4th after gaining his commission and if anything comes up to confirm that I'll be sure to pass it on.

Regards.

Llew.

Wonderful, many thanks again!

Hi Llew, quite possibly, whats the title?

Soldiers of Shepshed Remembered 1914-1919 by Russell Fisher, there's an image of William.

Llew.

Thanks Llew. We have this book, a great picture it is too