Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals Reference Guide for Android

BelgianExile

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback on an app I've written for android phones / tablets. It's a really simple illustrated guide to WW1 medals (and free to download with no ads - I'm not touting for business!). The app is on the Play store here.

If anyone can give any feedback that would be great!

Thanks,

Damien

I'm not touting for business!

Of course not.

App feedback is offered directly and beyond the scope of this forum, in my opinion.

Of course not.

App feedback is offered directly and beyond the scope of this forum, in my opinion.

Cheers, not quite the feedback I was looking for though. I was interested in what the community thinks of the app, as a resource for people interested in WW1 - so not beyond the scope of the forum IMHO. It's a free app, with no advertising, so I'm not sure why you've highlighted the fact that 'I'm not touting for business'. Because I'm not. I'm just after some constructive feedback.

I like the fact it requires no special permissions.

Air Force Cross has no info.

Apart from that, a useful ref for those that can't remember the facts. Works fine on Samsung S3.

Regards

Ian

I like the fact it requires no special permissions.

Air Force Cross has no info.

Apart from that, a useful ref for those that can't remember the facts. Works fine on Samsung S3.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's exactly what I'm after. I'll look at the AFC issue later today, and get an update out.

Damien

Any chance of it being developed for Apple products?

Oh, and BTW, opinions are often offered by the members of this forum, see the many threads on book, film and tv reviews along with Gps devices etc. this is no different. I think it's great you've developed this and, as an added bonus, jt's free! What more could you want :D

Any chance of it being developed for Apple products?

Oh, and BTW, opinions are often offered by the members of this forum, see the many threads on book, film and tv reviews along with Gps devices etc. this is no different. I think it's great you've developed this and, as an added bonus, jt's free! What more could you want :D

Hi Kim,

Noted, thanks!

As far as Apple products goes, there's no plans as yet, sorry. I'm not convinced that it'll reach a critical mass to make it worthwhile to port across (which I'd have to pay for!), as it is fairly niche.

Damien

I've updated the AFC info...

Very good!

One other point I forgot to mention - the App Icon is a tad small compared to all the others on my phone.

Now what would be really clever for phase 2 development is to add in photo recognition - snap a pic of a medal and the app tells you what it is. Even better if this could be made to work off Black & White images of ribbons...

;-)

Oh, and I notice from your sig that you like mapping...

What about geo-targeting so that when walking the battlefields the app pulls up details of the gallantry medal won on or near that spot?

(No idea if such data exists! But wouldn't it be cool...)

Regards

Ian

PS. A fruit-based version? Nahh... Kim'll just have to buy a decent phone...

I finally tracked it down on Play Store and downloaded it.

I thought it was good start to what could develop a useful app as it can contain the information that I certainly get asked, but only rarely, so I need to look it up to refresh the memory banks :-(
Would it be better to have the medals sectioned into gallantry, service and orders? The gallantry and orders could then be in priority order rather than alpha order.
Will you be extending to cover other Countries medals relevant to WW1 and bringing the UK medals up to date?
#11 has some interesting suggestions, but I have no idea how complicated that would be to include in an app.

Regards

John

Some fantastic feedback there, thank you all so much. To approach the points in order:

Would it be better to have the medals sectioned into gallantry, service and orders? The gallantry and orders could then be in priority order rather than alpha order.

Will you be extending to cover other Countries medals relevant to WW1 and bringing the UK medals up to date?

Definitely, filtering and ordering medals properly is high up on the list, and should be in the next update. Once the main architecture is built and working, then adding other countries medals, and other periods is fairly straightforward as it's just adding 'stuff' to a database.

One other point I forgot to mention - the App Icon is a tad small compared to all the others on my phone.

Now what would be really clever for phase 2 development is to add in photo recognition - snap a pic of a medal and the app tells you what it is. Even better if this could be made to work off Black & White images of ribbons...

Oh, and I notice from your sig that you like mapping...

What about geo-targeting so that when walking the battlefields the app pulls up details of the gallantry medal won on or near that spot?

I noticed the small icon on my phone tonight, so will fix that. Photo recognition, I fear, is way beyond me. A cracking idea, but beyond what I can do at the moment! The geo-targeting comment is very interesting. This app is the first stage of a much larger project that is mapping related (as that is my primary interest). The idea of 'proximity alerts' that let you know when you're in a particular area (such as the area where a gallantry medal was won) is a core concept of the main project, so thanks for the confirmation that it's worth looking at.

Thanks all done on samsung tablet

Thanks.

Again, thank you to you all for taking the time to provide some feedback on the project. It really is much appreciated, and makes the lonely hours fretting about brackets being in the wrong place (a coding reference in case that's not clear!) worthwhile.

Damien