commencing first week in April 2005.

Does any Forum member have, or knows where I can

get a trench map of the Start line and objective of the

2nd. Brigade AIF in the 2nd battle of Krithia [6th, 7th &

8th May 1915]?

It will be very much appreciated.

Peter

Peter,

Somewhere out there may be a copy of the map which you require however I would guess that if it exists then it will have been drawn long after the events. Is there not something useful in ‘The White Gurkhas’?

The subject of the maps used at Gallipoli was the theme of a series of articles authored by M.A. Nolan, which appeared in ‘The Gallipolian’ around 1993/4. Maps were a huge problem at Gallipoli, but especially so early on in the campaign. Trench maps were available after aerial photographic reconnaissance, but these became available only from the 3rd Battle of Krithia onwards;

see Rhodes James p.211 “The preparatory planning of what was officially designated the Third Battle of Krithia…….was a vast improvement on anything yet seen in the campaign. Excellent aerial photographs of the enemy trenches had enabled the staff to prepare, duplicate and distribute accurate and detailed maps …”

Also see The Official History Vol 2 page 20 – “Not the least important advantage gained by the Australians on the 19th [May] was the capture of several more sheets of a Turkish map of the peninsular, some portions of which had been captured at Helles a few days earlier. Up to this date the maps of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force had been very inaccurate and misleading…..”

Up until then the British were using a 1:40,000 scale series which were basically just a blow-up of a 1:63,360 map. This in turn was based on a British 1908 version of a French 1:50,000 map, the survey for which was carried out in 1854 [Crimean War?]

A month on Gallipoli; Certainly very envious here at this end

Best regards

Michael D.R.

A Request.

I am going to the Gallipoli Battlefields for a month

commencing first week in April 2005.

Does any Forum member have, or knows where I can

get a trench map of the Start line and objective of the

2nd. Brigade AIF in the 2nd battle of Krithia [6th, 7th &

8th May 1915]?

It will be very much appreciated.

Peter