Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry

GraemeClarke

I certainly agree that it's a very interesting difference between the 2/6th DLI entry and every other transfer………I hope you get the bottom of it……would love to know the reason!

It may be simply down to the clerk copying down the exact title of the letter he was given authorising the move.

Craig

Hi

Mike

Thanks I have downloaded the file from your link.

Craig

It may be a case of the clerk copying the title as you suggest, as some of the papers I have seen have the same hand writing, others are in a different hand though. For clarity I have attached my Granddads papers with the entry, the others I have looked at have the same entry on various dates. As this does not seem to be a common entry I would be interested if someone can provide evidence of the same or similar entry between other regiments / battalions. Maybe something, maybe nothing but I will keep looking and I appreciate it will be a long term project.

Cheers

Dave

post-109968-0-58434500-1401897381_thumb.

• 11 months later...

I also have a query that those familiar with 2/6th Bn DLI may be able to assist with.

My grandfather Asa Wild appears on page 6058 of the DLI roll and his medal entitlement was clearly with the Yorkshire Regiment.

In the absence of any service record I have been unable to determine when he transferred to DLI, for whom he was allocated no 93791 .

It has been suggested to me by a contributor to the Forum that with a regimental number as high as this it would have been late on, indeed possibly as late as mid 1919 (when many others being demobilised).

The contributor suggested the assignment would probably have been to 2/6th Bn DLI in this number range.

Does anyone have any further information to confirm this theory and indeed any information on the tasks the battalion were engaged in during mid to late 1919 and when they mave have returned home?

Thanks