Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this uniform?

Entwistle

This photo was found with my great grandad's possessions in 1989. He had carried it in his wallet all his life. We do not not know who it is and I am trying to find out. I started here because I believe he may have had a brother who died in or shortly after WW1.

Can anyone identify the uniform?

Thanks

post-23-1097702072.jpg

If the collars are dear heads, it can be Grodon Highlanders, they had simular Doublet jackets

Could be he is a Gordon Highlander. His collar badges look like their badge.

You may want to check out

http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/

They have a good research section.

All the best with it. I hope you find out who he was.

Sunflower ;)

Thank you both for your swift replies.

It is difficult to see if the badge is the same even with Zooming in......but it does look very similar.

It would make semse if he is from Scotland as I know the reason my great grandad lost touch with his brother is because the family moved to Glasgow in 1910.

Hi Guys

Sorry but you are getting your collars and cap badges in a twist! :D

The gordon highlanders collar badges are a pair of facing tigers, nothing like their cap badge. If you follow the link provided previous:

http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/

and click on the museum shop you will find a very clear picture of the Gordon's collar badge.

The bandsmans uniform being worn in the picture was pretty standard to all regimental bands. I am currently working my way through hundreds of collars and will come back soon but I am leaning towards The Middlesex regiment, at the moment. (Again do not get hung up on the cap badge the collars where different).

Entwistle it would be really useful to know your Grandfathers Surname and if possible where the family lived before 1910 also a slightly reduced size image may sharpen up the detail on the collar badge? I will keep digging and come back to you but for certain it is not Gordon Highlanders.

Regards

Paul.

I thought Middlesex too - not Gordons

All the best,

Tim

My vote goes to the Middlesex Regt.

This collar badge is Territorial, but only the scroll lettering is different. The shape is the same for Regular Bns.

Jim

post-23-1097754144.jpg

Have tried to supply a better image......but hard as quality of original is not great.

Thanks to all for your help!

Paul (kingsman64) I have sent you an email.

post-23-1097759582.jpg