Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How Long After War for Officer to Begin Wearing Medal Ribbons?

gordon92

I am presently researching the identity of the owner of a service dress jacket cuff-ranked to a Lieutenant of of a Black Watch Territorial battalion. There is no label inside. The jacket has four blue overseas service chevrons on the left arm indicating that this officer remained on active overseas service through at least early 1919 and perhaps beyond. There is a wound stripe on the left arm. With this data I am gradually reducing the number of possible candidates down to, I hope, a few. This officer would have been entitled to at least the 1915 Star trio and possibly an MC. There are no ribbons on this jacket nor any evidence that there had been any in the past.

My question is: How long after the war would it have taken for an officer to obtain the ribbons for display on his uniform? If he was still on active service overseas, would it have taken longer to acquire the ribbons? Any views on this would be appreciated.

Army Council Instructions all seem to indicate that the 'ribband' for the 1915 Star, BWM and VM were all authourised in 1919-source The Great War Medal Companion by Howard Williamson.

regards

Mark

Army Council Instructions all seem to indicate that the 'ribband' for the 1915 Star, BWM and VM were all authourised in 1919-source The Great War Medal Companion by Howard Williamson.

regards

Mark

Many thanks, Mark. Does this reference indicate when the ribband for the MC was authorized?

His MC ribbon would have been worn upon entitlement (during the conflict).

Entitlement to the campaign medals, however, came after the war. 1914 / 1914-15 stars were issued in 1919 and later, with the BWM/Victory issued in 1920 and later.

Don't know if this helps, or confuses:

The Times of Dec 24th 1917 reported that an Army Council Instruction (ACI) regarding the issue and wearing of the Riband of the 1914 star had been made, and that the issue of a 4" length to every serving individual entitled to wear the medal had been sanctioned.This would be the earliest possible date, but the actual issue is likely to have been delayed until stocks became available, so may not have been till quite a bit later.

The Times of Jan 13 1919 notified of an ACI allowing officers and men entitled to the 14-15 star to wear the riband, and that a 3" length would be issued to every serving man entitled to wear the medal had been sanctioned, however, it qualifies this by stating that indents for them could not be made until official notification was given that there was stock available.

In May 1918 The Times reported that there had been cases of individuals wearing the riband of the 1914 star who weren't entitled to, so it must have been available - at least to some - by that date.

In June 1918 The Times had reported delays in issuing the 1914 star medal due to production problems, and also states that 'Practically the whole of the members of the original Expeditionary Force at present serving in this country have been served with the 1914 ribbon, but delay in the distribution to men still overseas has been unavoidable'

Again according to The Times Reporting, the actual 1914 star medal became available (or at least allowing application for them) to specified regiments from January 1919 with the final available 'to all units' announcement made in October 1919 (this implies that the ribands ought to have been readily available by then);

The earliest reporting of a presentation ceremony of 1914 stars seems to be January 1919 (on Horse Guards Parade to men of the Household Cavalry), but that's not to say there weren't issues prior to this.

NigelS

elstevo and NigelS,

Your information is quite informative. This tells me that it would not be unexpected that my jacket would not bear the ribands for the 1915 Star, BWM, and VM especially if the individual left the Army during 1919. This also probably indicates that this officer was not an MC winner. The jacket was definitely not worn in the trenches and seems to be the officer's "best." So, he likely would have kept all insignia and decorations current while he was in the Army. This is very helpful.

Mike

• Admin

Following Nigel's post the Times noted on December 10th 1917 that those serving in the field would be given priority when the riband for the 1914 Star was available for issue, and issue had begun by January 1918. The riband for the 14-15 Star was issued from January 1919.

The Army Order for the BWM was in July 1919, the riband was issued in August 1919 and the issue of the riband for the Victory Medal began in December.

So the earliest the full set of ribands would have been worn was December 1919. He would not, of course, received the full set of medals until much later.

Ken

Following Nigel's post the Times noted on December 10th 1917 that those serving in the field would be given priority when the riband for the 1914 Star was available for issue, and issue had begun by January 1918. The riband for the 14-15 Star was issued from January 1919.

The Army Order for the BWM was in July 1919, the riband was issued in August 1919 and the issue of the riband for the Victory Medal began in December.

So the earliest the full set of ribands would have been worn was December 1919. He would not, of course, received the full set of medals until much later.

Ken

Thanks very much for your help and clarifications, Ken.

The jacket has four blue overseas service chevrons on the left arm indicating that this officer remained on active overseas service through at least early 1919 and perhaps beyond.

You could perhaps push your start/ end date back a year, I'm afraid.

Entitlement to the first OS chevron was immediately upon leaving the UK - in effect, you could spend only one day in theatre and get one chevron. Those thereafter were for 12 months aggregated (not calendar year) service - with an allowance for leave periods. Thus, if your man embarked on January 1st 1915 and 'enjoyed' continuous service overseas - even allowing for leave - then he would have theoretically been entitled to four OS chevrons in January 1918.

That is to say: you'd get four chevrons for 36 months and one day's OS service.

Alternatively, his OS service could have started - for instance - in Jan 1916 and concluded in Jan 1919. He would get four chevrons and not be eligible for the 1914-1915 Star - so the Star ribbon is neither here nor there anyway.

Although announced in 1917, official OS chevron introduction was January 1918 and, I gather, rolls for eligibility were complied from April 1918.

Consequently, you'd possibly get 'em up as soon as available commercially, and in anticipation of the rolls, from Jan onward and certainly from April.

To be a Lieutenant in, say, April 1918, with war service from Jan 1915: you'd have to have been an OR to start with (very unlikely to be promoted only once in three years, given the attrition rate, I'd think). Same if Jan 1916 to 1919 conclusion.

So: I think you could spend the rest of your life trying to attribute this to any given individual....

Cheers,

GT.

You could perhaps push your start/ end date back a year, I'm afraid.

Entitlement to the first OS chevron was immediately upon leaving the UK - in effect, you could spend only one day in theatre and get one chevron. Those thereafter were for 12 months aggregated (not calendar year) service - with an allowance for leave periods. Thus, if your man embarked on January 1st 1915 and 'enjoyed' continuous service overseas - even allowing for leave - then he would have theoretically been entitled to four OS chevrons in January 1918.

That is to say: you'd get four chevrons for 36 months and one day's OS service.

Alternatively, his OS service could have started - for instance - in Jan 1916 and concluded in Jan 1919. He would get four chevrons and not be eligible for the 1914-1915 Star - so the Star ribbon is neither here nor there anyway.

Although announced in 1917, official OS chevron introduction was January 1918 and, I gather, rolls for eligibility were complied from April 1918.

Consequently, you'd possibly get 'em up as soon as available commercially, and in anticipation of the rolls, from Jan onward and certainly from April.

To be a Lieutenant in, say, April 1918, with war service from Jan 1915: you'd have to have been an OR to start with (very unlikely to be promoted only once in three years, given the attrition rate, I'd think). Same if Jan 1916 to 1919 conclusion.

So: I think you could spend the rest of your life trying to attribute this to any given individual....

Cheers,

GT.

This certainly makes things more complicated, GT. Hence, it is not even a sure bet that my man survived the war. It is almost 100% certain that this officer was promoted from the ranks. This is evidenced by the tailoring quality of the jacket that I would rate as medium to low quality. Thanks for explaining this although I would have been more content in continuing with my illusion. :)