Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Gardner Lancashire Fusilliers

susan2603

Hi,

I have been trying to trace my grandfather Joseph Henry Gardner, born 1898 in Harpenden, Herts and so far have found one service record with his date of birth, under the Lancashire Fusilliers. The address on the record is 19 Marple St, Pendleton, Manchester and it is dated 2nd November 1917, the Joseph on the record was aged 19. I found the record on Ancestry, I don't know anything about his time in WWI , or if he was even in it as he died before I was born and my father never spoke about him. I would be very grateful if anyone out there could help me find out if this could be him. Also, is the address given on the service record where he would have enlisted? Excuse my ignorance in all this, as I am new to it!

Many thanks

Susan

Thank you for your help!

I have also seen that medal card, plus five others for a Joseph H Gardner, which is my main problem, I can't work out which one is my grandfather! Most don't give a date of entry - I think I can rule out 1914-15 as he would have been too young. Also, as he lived quite near to London does this mean he would likely have been enlisted in a nearby regiment rather than say Lancashire?

Again, thank you and any other advice/help would be great!

Susan

Hello Susan,

Personally I can't think of a way forward for you without further information on one of the following:

1. His regiment/s

2. His service number

3. His address/next of kin appearing on one of the available service records

4. A mention in the local press

I believe it is perfectly possible that your Grandfather could have served with a regiment 'based' further North. He may have enlisted in one closer to home originally, been injured and then posted to a regiment that required reinforments or been posted directly to a regiment that required reinforcement when he initially enlisted.

I'm struggling to help but others of greater experience might be able to.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your help and advice, I am looking into local press records so hope that will give me some info that I need

Regards

Susan

Hello Susan,

What are Joseph`s parents and/or siblings names?

Joe.

Hi Joe

thanks for the reply his parents names were Father Thomas joseph 1871 Harpenden Herts, Mother Sarah Jane Morley 1870 Harpenden Herts, Sister Hilda May 1897 Harpenden, Brother Percival Thomas birth 1900 Harpenden Herts.

I hope this helps

Regards

Susan

Hello Susan,

I had found a man who enlisted in the Rifle Brigade and roughly fitted the details that you posted. Unfortunately it`s not your Joseph, his parents and siblings names do not match. At least you can rule out Joseph Gardner, 64277.

Good luck in your search. Joe.

Hi Joe

thanks once again for all your help and for narrowing it down for me. Will carry on searching, as a last resort I'm thinking of takinga trip up to Kew

Kind Regards

Susan