Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Harald Fridjtof Moe 19th Battalion Manchester Reg. 11606

yelenots

Hello, I'm new on here so not sure I'm I'm posting this thread in the right place but hope someone can help!

I have recently found my relative on Ancestry and have all his Army WW1 Service Records etc from Ancestry as he was killed in action on the 23rd July 1916 at The Somme. I have visited a grave in Manchester where there is a memorial for him.

I am trying to find out any further information about him (or even a photo!) His Mother was Brtiish and married Peter Johan Moe. They emigated to Texas where Harald was born.His father was killed in an accident when he was 1yrs old and Mother & son moved back to the North West.

Would Harald have had to produce a birth certificate when he signed up? And if so would there still be a copy of it held anywhere? I have searched on Ancestry but cant find anything more out about him.

Thank you :)

Welcome to the forum.

No, he wouldnt have had to produce a birth certificate. Presumably, any certificate would have been issued by the Texan authorities who may be able to supply copies (but I've no knowledge of American genealogy so can't help with that).

As for a photo, it's possible that a local newpaper published a short obituary of him after his death that may have carried a photo. Any idea about where he was living at the time?

Hi, On the 1911 census he was living in an orphanage in Halilfax, West Yorkshire but after that I've no idea! His mother was living Manchester around that time and the Index Cards have got a Manchester address so maybe he was there? Perhaps I should look at the Newspaper Archives?

Thanks.

Your best bets would be the Manchester Evening News and the Manchester Evening Chronicle. Both available on microfilm at Manchester Central Library. I'd look for about three months after his death. Neither paper published that many photos so the odds are not in your favour but definitely worht a try.

Hi Yelenots,

You should also visit the Manchesters forum. There is a story about Harold and bombing practice, as well as a little bit more information about his address. I was presume this has been obtained from local Papers.

Good luck. Tim.

John..... Thanks I'll check the newpapers and many thanks Tim for telling me about the Manchester forum - its about the only website I haven't look at! :)

There were a few "Missing" notices posted in the Manchester Evening News in August and September 1916 (one shown below from 7th September 1916).

Then a death notice on 21st July 1917

No pictures, I'm afraid

post-1356-0-68711600-1398323837_thumb.pn

post-1356-0-07117100-1398323847_thumb.pn

• 2 weeks later...