Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cross of St George 4th Class (Russia)

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

The CWGC database entry in relation to Second Lieutenant Thomas Henry Spanton (3rd Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps) records that he was the Holder of the Cross of St George, 4th Class (Russia).

Can anyone tell me anything about this decoration and how I might ascertain what he was awarded the medal for?

Simon

I believe that this award went hand in hand with his award of the DCM, I've found that a couple of men I've researched who were awarded the DCM were also awarded a version of this medal although I've a feeling they were 3rd Class (can't find my notes at the mo.).

I seem to recall a thread about this some time ago so a search of the forum might give you a definitive answer.

Steve

Steve/Simon,

DCM with Class 3 sounds about right - I have a group containing and MM and a Class 4 Medal of St. George. Note that there was a difference with a Cross of St. George, Medal of St. George and Cross of the Order of St. George. Confusing!

Steve

Simon

This is a reply that I received about a similar query to yours that I had posted on the medalcollectors.com/forum (very good site!) some time ago:

"The Russian awards were provided by the Russian Imperial Government and then handed out to men who were probably selected by the COs of each battalion. Many times these men had already been awarded a British gallantry medal, as is the case with Golder*. There were no citations for the Russian awards but they were usually (though not always) notified in the London Gazette."

*Golder was the man who interested me at the time. Incidentally, he had already been awarded the DCM as a very young sergeant (probably at Mons) and, in 1918, received the MC as a warrant officer. He survived the war!