Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

The CWGC database entry for Second Lieutenant Thomas Henry Spanton records that he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. When he died he was a Second lieutenant in the King's Royal Rifle Corps. However, bearing in mind that he must have won the medal while serving in the ranks I assume, that he would have been in a different unit when he was awarded his medal.

Do citations survive in relation to the Distinguished Conduct Medal?

Simon,

Have you tried writing to the King's Royal Rifle Corps Museum?

They might have the citation documented in their archives.

Just a thought.

Anthony

Simon

When he died he was a Second lieutenant in the King's Royal Rifle Corps

Here is the London Gazette entry for his promotion from Lance Serjeant to Temp. 2nd Lieutenant in the KRRC

Here is the London Gazette showing his award of the DCM as R.7689 Lance Corporal (Acting Serjeant) T H Spanton 3rd KRRC.

And from the mother site : All awards of the DCM were announced in the London Gazette, usually with a citation, although awards made as part of the King's Birthday or New Year's honours do not always have one.

I've checked the London Gazette online and can't find a citation for this award but the Gazette online website has a peculiar search facility and doesn't always find things that do exist <_< so it could be there but I can't find it.

There is a book I believe detailing the LG citation and award dates etc. which I'm sure somebody would be able to look up for you (I seem to recall somebody offering lookups in the Document Repository section of this forum).

Hope this all helps

Steve

Citation for DCM as per London Gazette issue 29212, 30th June 1915, page 6402 :

" R 7689 Lance - Corporal ( acting Sejeant ) Spanton, T.H. , 3rd Battalion, Kings Royal Rifle Corps

For conspicuous gallantry on 15th February 1915, in going out by daylight under fire to bring in wounded men ; also for consistent good work and gallant conduct. "

The third battalion KRRC was part of 27th Division.

The award of the Russian Cross of the Order of St. George 4th class was announced in the London Gazette of 25th August 1915 page 8509. There may have been some connection between this award and the DCM , however, not necessarily. I have the same Russian award for a Gunner in the same edition of the LG who did not receive the DCM.

Regards. simon