Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stanley Marcus Myatt service no 8818

Johnandeva

Hi everyone, the above person served in the Royal Navy until 1913, then on discharge joined the Suffolk regiment, serving from 1913-1925' would love to see service record, etc, he is my wife's grandfather and died in 1962, many thanks, johnandeva

There is a Medal Index Card for Pte Myatt, 8818, 2nd Bn Suffolk Regiment but it gives his forenames as Richard H, rather than Stanley Marcus?

Went to France on 15 August 1914, so must have been a pre-War regular and it is recorded that he was taken as a prisoner of war.

Hi

is this his Royal Navy record

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6739051

Regards,

Graeme

This record (one sheet) can be seen on Findmypast.

Marcus Stanley MYATT, 236501, born 21 April 1889, Winchcombe Glos.

Occupation - I think - Baker's Asst. (The whole sheet is very hard to decipher)

He served from from 21 April 1907, aged 12.

CGM

Actually, the above figures don't add up, do they!

I think someone with better eyesight than mine might have more success reading the record......

CGM

We cross posted Horatio. I agree.

CGM

Well lads, we really appreciate the help you are giving us, have printed off his navy record, we know he lied about his age to get enlisted and that he was kicked out of the navy for fighting with his superior officers, he joined the Suffolk regt and graham you say there is a Richard h as 8818, there was talk of an uncle dick but no such name on the family tree, we are wondering if he changed his name so he would be accepted in the army after being kicked out of the navy, we do know Stanley was taken prisoner, what a mystery, we have his joining up form for ww2 in 1940 enlisting for the Warwickshire regiment at age 49, any comments much appreciated, john

Woollamc, thanks for your help, where can I find the medal index card you have seen, cheers john

Thanks again lads, haven't got subscription to anyone at the moment, just trying to obtain as much information as we can before we go to France in June, regards john

Hi everyone, still a puzzle, we have his joining up papers for ww2 and on it it says served with Suffolk regt 1913 - 1925' but as Stanley Marcus not Richard h, and Eva's grandad was definitely Stanley, it's a mystery, and he was the one p.o.war, regards john

There is a Pte R. Myatt 8818 Suffolk Rgt, listed as wounded on the 4th Nov 1914.

It took aprox a month for these list to be published.

Regards

Gerry

John

Just as a matter of interest, the service number 8818 in the heading of your initial post: where did you get it from?

C

Morning Charles, I have a certified copy of attestation, in the name of Stanley Myatt, 23.01.1940, he is enlisting in the Royal Warwickshire Regt, he gives his age as 49 and his D.O.B as 21. 04. 1890, when his actual D.O.B is 21.04.1889 which would make him 50 years old, was there a cut off point for enlistiing, at this time he has five dependant children ?

His service record as shown is Royal Navy 21.04.1907 - 1913

Suffolk Regt 13.11.1913 - 13.11.1925

Regt No 8818, this may not have been his no for the Suffolk regt

Regards john

John

There is a very well put together family tree on ancestry.co.uk which seems to have been put together by one of grandchildren of Stanley Marcus Myatt's sister, Christina, who married a chap called Green. It has photographs of Stanley, his brothers and sisters and his parents.

There is a note that Stanley's older brother Howard John Myatt was also known as "Dick". Howard served in the Worcesters from very early in the war and was wounded several times, had a few bouts of 'flu' and was killed in action on 21 March 1918. His service papers survive and on a page with details of Howard's blood relatives, it refers to Stanley Marcus serving under number 8818 in the Suffolk Regiment but there is a further note which I can't decipher and may say something about him being attached somewhere else. If anyone with access to ancestry wants to have a look and decipher what it says, the link to the record is here.

That's about as much as I have been able to tease out, I'm afraid.

C

Charles, thanks for that, out of action at the moment, manful, once again thanks very much, john

Hi Charles, getting over my man flu now, passed it on to Eva, have done what you said and subscribed to ancestry, still can't find any mention of military service in ww2' , family talk was that he was involved in forced march from Siberia or somewhere in Northern Europe.

Any help much appreciated, john