Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Regiment Query

elstevo

I'm having trouble finding the MIC for one of my BWM/Victory pairs and I'd be very grateful for help so I can start my research.

They are both officially impressed to 505219 Pte. E. Coulson. 13-Lond.R.

I have found the MIC to an Engall Coulson, which cites 3 regiments & service numbers (5-Lond.R 301074 / K.R.R.C. 505219 / M.G.C. 195833) and all Pte.

I wonder if the incorrect details were transcribed, or if there has been incorrect indexing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The MIC shows his regiments in the order he served.

Born 21/8/98 and attended Cator Street School Southwark

he did not qualify for Star so served after 1st January 1916 overseas

But why would his pair show the service number for the King's Royal Rifle Corps? Surely this has been transcribed inaccurately... if it is the correct MIC in the first place.

I'm having trouble finding the MIC for one of my BWM/Victory pairs and I'd be very grateful for help so I can start my research.

They are both officially impressed to 505219 Pte. E. Coulson. 13-Lond.R.

I have found the MIC to an Engall Coulson, which cites 3 regiments & service numbers (5-Lond.R 301074 / K.R.R.C. 505219 / M.G.C. 195833) and all Pte.

I wonder if the incorrect details were transcribed, or if there has been incorrect indexing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have no doubt that you have indeed found the correct MIC.

As the London Regiment was an all Territorial formation, under the provisions of the Corps Warrant each battalion of the Regiment was affiliated to a regular regiment. The 5th London Regiment, with whom Coulson first served overseas, was affiliated to the Rifle Brigade and the 13th London Regiment to the King's Royal Rifle Corps.

The 1917 Territorial Force renumbering saw the 13th London Battalion allotted number range 490001 to 510000 from which Coulson's number 505219 is clearly from. This suggests that he was transferred from the 5th to 13th Londons, initially at least and that due to the 13th London/K.R.R.C. affiliation if he was then further posted to a battalion of the K.R.R.C. then he would have kept his original 13th London number, this is what I suspect may have happened.

His MIC, although showing the MGC Medal Roll references for the British War & Victory Medals also shows that the medals were actually issued from the 13th London's Medal Roll (reference TP13/101 B6 Page 741). I'd suggest you get hold of a copy of the Medal Roll from NA, Kew to see what that actually tells you, NA reference for the Roll is WO 329/1927.

Regards

Steve