The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was Conrad Cato?

centurion

Conrad Cato wrote

• The Navy In Mesopotamia 1914 - 17
  • The Navy Everywhere
  • The Shallow End of the War

Dealing with such matters as small ship operations, river gun boats, armoured cars, balloons and side shows in general, all written 1918 - 1921. He also wrote books on the Arabian Gulf revealing considerable local knowledge. However apart from a note in one book stating that he was a serving naval officer who saw active service I can find nothing at all about him. Possibly Conrad Cato was a nom de plume? Anyone have any information.

I'm asking a fellow librarian... hold the line...

The Times Digital Archive includes a letter from him (addressed only "London") on Saturday, Mar 29, 1919; pg. 7; Issue 42061: Survivors of Kut.

And my library contact has just mailed in to say that she has "Conrad Cyril Cox Cato" recorded as the author of The Navy in Mesopotamia, to which I can add, in order of trail in which I found them:-

1. A Cyril Cox wrote a letter to the Times about Turkey which was published on May 20, 1919.

2. The Times carried an advertisement for "The Nineteenth Century and after" on Oct 1, 1919, in which one article was "The Future of Arabia" by Paymaster Lieut-Commander Cyril Cox, RNR.

I have a strong feeling that the Lt-Cdr is your man, but unfortunately I can't find him in TNA on a skim search.

He (Cyril Cox) appears in the January 1915 Navy List as Assistant Paymaster RNR in charge aboard the sloop ODIN, 1,070 tons, recommissioned at Muscat March 1914, commander Cathcart R. Wason.

Elsewhere in the same volume his seniority is recorded as 15 June 1904.

Definitely him - he served with the Tigres Flotilla which gives his material added credibility as "he was there" and writing before memories faded. He is also quoted as a witness in a medal citation. Thanks again

Glad to help - that was just difficult enough to be interesting but not so hard as to be frustrating! (thanks heavens for the unknown cataloguer of my colleague's copy).

Naval surgeon's medals - nice! Thank you for that. Surgeon Lt-Cdr Loughlin goes in my "file"...

• 6 years later...

Although you have correctly discovered the answer to the original question, I can confirm that Conrad Cato was indeed the nom de plume of Cyril Cox, my grandfather, who sadly died just four months after I was born.

You may, however, be interested in the attached details from a treasured book in my possession.

Cyril Cox.pdf