Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Cafe Beaucourt?

KIRKY

hi

had an email via this site telling me about a new Cafe/Museum/Venue called Poppy Valley Station.

sounds good as it is another place to get a coffee etc.

Anyone know if it is open, good and times it is open?

tony

kirky

Is this Beaucourt-sur-Ancre that you are talking about?

IF it is then the only thing i can think of is that the disco by the station (yes, a disco on the Somme!) has been converted. It has always seemed a flyblown place and never open when I have been past.

Martin

Martin, it isn't that one. It's a new one on the other side of the road and a little way down from the village. It had signs outside when I passed the other day but I'm not sure if it was open and couldn't stop to check it out.

Tom

I believe the new cafe is run by the same person who had the wooden shed next to Newfoundland Memorial Park. This is were Helicopter tours of the Somme could also be had. Walking past the Tourist office in Albert last Saturday I see you can still get Helicopter flights from Beaucourt sur Ancre now.

Terry

It seems like a new venture.

Anyone had a helicopter ride, that would be a great thrill!!

Tony

;) Terry

I am suprised you saw it as it does not sell beer!!

Tony

It seems like a new venture.

Anyone had a helicopter ride, that would be a great thrill!!

Tony

I agree, but it didn't sound a very good idea when you were in the Newfoundland Memorial Park and the thing was landing and taking off every ten minutes just a few yards from the boundary fence!

Tom

I very much hope that this relocation will mean that the visually intrusive and completely out of place "wooden hut" has been removed, along with the roadside ice cream and coffee signs that accompanied it. It seems (seemed) to be turning the place in something of a theme park and completely spoilt the serenity of the surrounding landscape.

Hi pals,

I was in the cafe at beaucourt hamel train station a couple of weeks ago, it is still not finished but the owner is a very very pleasent chap, his names escapes though. he is very enthusiastic about the project. he is hopeing to buy the plot beside him as he said this was a section of the german trenchs that were filled in and he would like to have them opened up and preserved. He is hoping to have the entire project completed for 1st July 2006. It is clear he has a deep appreciation however of all the fallen and the survivors of the Somme and the great war in general. He also has some great pictures of the Station from the great war.

regards

Ross.

• 1 year later...
Guest Simon Bull
Hi pals,

I was in the cafe at beaucourt hamel train station a couple of weeks ago, it is still not finished but the owner is a very very pleasent chap, his names escapes though. he is very enthusiastic about the project. he is hopeing to buy the plot beside him as he said this was a section of the german trenchs that were filled in and he would like to have them opened up and preserved. He is hoping to have the entire project completed for 1st July 2006. It is clear he has a deep appreciation however of all the fallen and the survivors of the Somme and the great war in general. He also has some great pictures of the Station from the great war.

regards

Ross.

Does anyone have any recent reports about this café? I am taking my elderly (but sprightly) parents to The Somme in May and I am looking for reasonable refreshment stops, particularly those with clean and wholesome loos.

Every time I have passed it, the place has thankfully been closed.

The cafe is run by Philippe Feret, who also organises helicopter rides over the battlefields. His website is www.ensomme.net He is trying to build up the business and also to collect and display material related to the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, which captured the place in November 1916. If ayone has anything suitable to offer, he would be grateful. Philippe is a thoroughly likeable man and a great enthusiast for the history of the area. I can't remember what his loos were like, but it's not farfrom there to the Ulster Tower, Ocean Villas Tearooms or the Newfoundland Memorial, all of which offer excellent facilities.

Jack

The owner is a very friendly guy, he has lots of interesting photo's and quite a few relics for sale.

You will always get a friendly welcome and they do tasty snacks and nice cold beers.

The unisex single loo is, however, absolutely appalling, and if you're sensitive about things like that, far better to keep ones legs crossed until you can get to the Ulster Tower or Newfoundland Park.

Rob.

"Every time I have passed it, the place has thankfully been closed."

Wondered why you say that?

The guy who runs it is a very friendly man and helpful.

Have you had a basd experience there?

Tony

I am not doubting his character or his commitment or his knowledge BUT the ambience of the place he has created is akin to the place that used to be outside Newfoundland Park.

A honeypot for mass tourism?

For Simon,

Access to good toilets is now much better. You have the choice of the Ulster Tower, Newfoundland Park or the new visitors centre at Thiepval.

If you read below you will see why I would recommend the Ulster Tower - not only for the loos, but the "craic" is good, and you can get a good cup of tea or coffee from Teddy or Phoebe

:D

I too would add that they are both a lovely and enthusiastic couple with the best intentions. I did berate him a little over the helicopter rides but the guy has a right to earn a living. A good spot for a cup of tea then head up the road towards Beaumont Hamel and see the traces of shelling and dugouts as you go.

I visited the place twice in October. Both times the owner was friendly, sold good tea and coffee and has some interesting relics on view or for sale. The place was full with British tourists and it was nice to sit outside in the sun. Yes it is exploiting the Great War, but no more than Tommies cafe or the museum in Albert and he is also providing a service. The building is quite historic. I have a photo in a book showing it half demolished in the war.

I'll happily go again.

Gunner Bailey

I stopped there for a snack one lunchtime in December.

The owners were very pleasant, and heated up a flammekuche (?spelling) - sort of cheese on toast - for me (I was the only customer).

The food on offer was sort of pre-packaged, ready-to-heat stuff, but actually tasted fine - though I am not sure I would have gone for anything more ambitious than a sandwich-y thing.

The place was freezing - but then they probably didn't expect much custom.

Looks as if they are into DIY, and the standard of the WC was pretty primitive. They certainly have a lot of work to do before July 2006!

The guy ran a 30-min video for me about the battlefield walks in the in the area; they are intending to bring out a brochure on the same subject. He also handed me some rather battered cardboard 3D viewing specs with which to look at a few relief photos that he had hanging on the wall.

Angela

:) Good remarks Gunnrer Bailey, we were also there in October and was a good atmosphere. The day we went it was too hot to sit outside!

One thing to point out, in view of mention of "honeypot for tourists" the owner is re-furbishing the old station building in the yard to offer this to Schools to do presentations etc for free! Obviously he is hoping they will then come into his cafe for something to eat/drink but it is not all about making money!

Anyway the cafe only holds about 15 people!

Tony