Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

burgoyne fort

douglynn

Hi I have a 27 year old enlisting at fort burgoyne.rga my question is.would he have been trained there it was 1916.he came from east grinstead.or would this be a staging post to be sent of to france.his job was a gardener so not important thanks guys for looking

If you know he was mobilised/conscripted to Fort Burgoyne in 1916 then presumably you have his service records. What do they say?

Kevin

So far I have mic and enlistment doc I am on ipad so can not up load pics yet untill week end he had noth medals.i have drawn a blank at address.i thought I was onto a winner he was a gardener his home address was the gardens birch grove.east grinstead I thought wow I have got him it was harold macmillians old house bit of history there presedent kennedy stayed there but out of luck it was built in 1926.can find no records.the stamp at the bottom says no1 depot rga fort burgoyne.?if he got both medals would he have gone abroad.or at age 27 stayed at home like home guard.i have saved both docs so far but unable to post yet.thanks for looking

Birch Grove was a place long before the MacMillans had Birch Grove House built. It even had a Post Office.

One casualty from there that I know of - Philip Thomsett, Pte 21216, 3rd Bn Hampshire Regiment of Three Chimneys, Birch Grove is buried in Forest Row Cemetery and recorded on the village memorial.

Does your man have a name?

Phil

Hi yes henry tanner address the gardens burch grove house.east grinstead.job gardener.royal garrison artiliry.if he was in service as a gardener at burch grove house then it must have been a fine house.i can not find it only mcmillians built in 1926.

And yes thanks rmdale I did find it at dover.and thanks phil will look at old maps when I have better internet

Looks like there are still remainsnof the old fort not accessible to the public near dover castle and cliffs museum thanks for looking

The fort at the time was RGA costal defense. There is a mention of barracks as well so could of doubled up as a training camp also.