Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another headstamp

centurion

I have a brass cartridge case for something of 160 mm. The base is covered in gunk but I have so far revealed MGM 488L 17. I assume the 17 means 1917 but any idea what the rest means?

It was bought many years ago in a Normandy junk (and I really mean junk) shop

BTW can anyone recommend something faster than Brasso to clean the rest of the headstamp?

Further polishing reveals 155 something MLE 1915 S so it's a French 155mm something

[quote name="centurion" post="2071607" timestamp="

BTW can anyone recommend something faster than Brasso to clean the rest of the headstamp?

Duraglit?

Don't know for brass... For steel the finest grade emery paper and water followed by finest grade steel wool and then Autosol and polishing with a soft cloth works (yes, sounds horrific, but an expert sword collector and dealer of more than 40 years experience recommended it to me and it does work on bayonets!)

Head stamp now reads

155 C MLE 1915 S MGM 488L 17.R

Don't know for brass... For steel the finest grade emery paper and water followed by finest grade steel wool and then Autosol and polishing with a soft cloth works (yes, sounds horrific, but an expert sword collector and dealer of more than 40 years experience recommended it to me and it does work on bayonets!)

Thanks however steel is much harder than brass

they make Brasso which I'm using

Sorry. I thought Brasso was liquid

Most people refer to the liquid as Brasso and the wadding as Duraglit.

Most people refer to the liquid as Brasso and the wadding as Duraglit.

It was the wadding I meant. It certainly cleaned my grandfather's spurs from the Great War when they came to light some years ago

David

I think your advice to Cent was spot on.

It was the wadding I meant. It certainly cleaned my grandfather's spurs from the Great War when they came to light some years ago

David

Yes its produced by Duraglit under the name Brasso (I don't think they market the old liquid any more) and that's what I am using. Looking for something better

Edited by Keith Roberts
Courtesy

I did say looking for something better!

Yes, you did indeed say you were looking for something better than the wadding and I am suggesting the liquid which in my experience is better for this sort of task.

Brasso is not recomnded for cleaning old brass because it removes the patina. Warm soapy water's the thing.

Brasso is not recomnded for cleaning old brass because it removes the patina. Warm soapy water's the thing.

It also blunts the edges of stamped and engraved markings and polishes out machining marks from manufacture. I have sometimes used Goddard's Silver Dip, where I wanted to wash off patina and brighten brass without rubbing out markings.

Regards,

MikB