Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

USS Arizona Memorial

egbert

Commissioned in 1916, the USS Arizona traces back to WW1. I want to share this picture, taken today in memory of the fallen sailors

post-19-1097637971.jpg

Thank you for sharing your excellent photographs, Egbert. I liked the imagery of your final comment.

You have prompted me to go and re-read the story of Pearl Harbour.

Gwyn

Only if there is some further interest : I can post some 10 more stunning pics of USS Arizona - and before I Forgot: Oahu is a great place!!

I can post some 10 more stunning pics of USS Arizona

Yes, please, Egbert.

Gwyn

Pearl last week: German Air Force on final turn to USS Arizona paying my respect to the sailors and the ship ( USS Arizona memorial = white structure in the middle with Battleship Row next to Ford Island )

post-19-1097806446.jpg

Egbert:

Thanks for a great thread. The wall of names is particularly daunting. If I am not mistaken, some Arizona survivors, when they die, have been known to have their ashes taken in containers to the ship and the container is dropped so that it sinks down to the ship, and they are then forever resting with their shipmates.

Chris

The memorial at Pearl Harbour is a very moving place, I must agree, it is eerie standing over the ship submerged in the water.

Oahu is a great place, but if you make it to Waikiki Beach I hope you have more luck with the surf than I did, it was flat as a pancake when I was there!