Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt R M Wootten MC, 6th Inniskilling Dragoons

Fantasia7628

I am trying to research my grandfather Richard Montague Wootten (1889-1979) who was awarded the MC at some stage in the 1914-18 war. The problem is that I can find no record or citation of the event, but I do have the medal, which does not have any inscription. The only facts that I know are that he told me he joined the regiment in 1909 aged 19 in India and was sent to France via Marseille at the end of 1914 and that they travelled with their mounts from there to the front by train. I do not know anything other than that. He had a long career in the army, eventually retiring in 1945 with the rank of Major General. Please can anyone help with my research into his wartime activity and Military Cross? Many thanks, John Hartley

John,

Welcome to the Forum ! I really should have left this to our other distinguished John Hartley,who contributes here under that name !

As your GF served beyond 1922 his service record will be with the Army records at:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

where you can apply for a copy.

You can get a date for the MC from the London Gazette which has an online archive,but unlikely to be a citation,which might appear in the War Diary for the unit he served at the time of the award.

6 Inniskilling Dragoons were in Mhow India in Aug 1914 and moved to France,landing at Marseilles on 14 Dec 1914,which is the date shown on his Medal Index Card as first landing in a war zone. His Brigade,the Mhow Cavalry Brigade,became part of 2 Indian Cavalry Division. Brigade moved to 1 Indian Cav Div in Sep 1915,which was then re-named 4 Cav Div in Nov 1916. March 1918 his unit was placed with 7 Cav Bde of 3 Cav Div.

War Diaries for 6 Inn.Dragoons are all digital and downloadable from the Discovery database at the National Archives. There are four,including one for their time in the Rhine Army from April 1919 to Feb 1920, when they were part of the Rhine Cavalry Brigade.

The London Gazette entry is here; it was gazetted on 2 January 1919 - it is unlikely that there is a citation and don't worry that there is no inscription as none of them were (officially) inscribed.

You may have already seen it but there is some detail of his career in the Army List (here). Amongst his many accomplishments, it seems that he was Adjutant of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons from July 1915 to October 1917 and - someone will hopefully correct me if I have this wrong - this means that some of their War Diary may well have been written by his own hand.

Thank you very much for both your replies. This gives me avenues to extend my research when I get a moment.