Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 questions please guys

douglynn

As new hear can you please tell me where the inscriptions on the edge of medals done by the person. Question 2 are dealers adding ribbons to add value of medals recieved one today ribbon looks brand new thanks for looking

Doug

The inscriptions on Victory and General Service medals were done before issue which I believe was normally by registered post. Replacement ribbon is widely available, so it is quite possible that if a ribbon had been mislaid a dealer might have provided a replacement.

Keith

Thanks keith for moving to correct place.and I did a macro photo of inscriptions 2 medals edge on and both seem in same positions if that makes sense thanks for looking doug

Edited by douglynn

• Admin

Hi Doug

I'm no medal expert but the technical term for 'inscription' is that the medal was 'impressed' suggesting a machine job rather than someone like the person who engraves the Wimbledon/FA Cup trophy at the end of the game. That makes sense given the millions of medals issued. I have personally found this site a good one for information on medals http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/british_index.htm

Glen

Quite right Glen, loose phraseology on my part. Apologies

Keith

New looking ribbon doesn't necessarily mean it's been replaced. We have hubby's great granddad's medals, the ribbons have never been put on and we have the original ribbons in the original envelopes as he received them.

Medal ribbon does not make any difference in price. This is why original silk ribbon is being removed from medals and sold separately to those collectors who prefer authenticity in their collection.

If the medals are over 90 years old then it is quite possible, if the recipient has worn them regularly, that the ribbons are so frayed and worn that they have to be replaced as they are no longer capable of supporting the medals if these are to be displayed. This is particularly so with medals that have been swing mounted.

Thanks.i have a silver one no ribbon so will get a replacement on a well know auction site.

Have to say the quality of replacements is not a patch on the real thing.

It was not unusual for great war veterans to replace medal ribbons themselves as they became frayed ,faded and soiled, you can often see it where a trio has been mounted on a brooch bar in the wrong order and with the ribbons on the wrong medals. Replacement ribbon was available for many years from official sources including veterans organization's and was from original stock. Modern replacement ribbon is obtainable and although original ribbon is desirable, modern is better than none.

khaki