Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tadworth Camp, Epsom Downs

Guest chris.watkins7

Guest chris.watkins7

I am a local historian, currently in the process of preparing a display on the subject of 'Tadworth Camp' which I understand was established as a WW1 training camp.

The results will be displayed in the nearby library at Tattenham Corner (Tattenham Community Library) and submitted to the Banstead History Research Group for use in this year's (2014) Banstead Arts Festival.

I am aware of some of the regiments that were trained at Tadworth (see below) and would be grateful of any further information that might be suitable for display, particularly photographs.

3/2nd and 3/3rd London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

2/1st Suffolk Yeomanry

2nd (Reserve) Battalion of the Welsh Guards

2/1st Battalion of the Honourable Artillery Company

3rd Battalion of the London Rifle Brigade

5th Battalion of the National Guard

Army Service Corps

Royal Army Medical Corps

United Arts Rifles

Y.M.C.A.

Earlier posts suggest the camp was located to the west of the B290 (North Downs Lane) somewhere between Tattenham Corner and Tadworth village. Does anyone have a more precise location? Later in the year, I plan to walk the area with photographs in hand.

Thanks in advance for any help you provide.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chris.watkins7

Moonraker - thanks for the link to earlier discussions on Tadworth Camp.

Simon - and thank you for your helpful response. I am most interested in the photographic items you mention.

So far, the only photographs I have found, that are of good enough quality for display purposes, are:

- those on the IWM site (which provide details of camp duties and training activities),

- some of the ones on postcards (which show views of the camp and men from specific regiments)

- various pictures available on the web (e.g. showing Kitchener and Lloyd George reviewing the troops on Epsom Downs)

Naturally, I am keen to add to these. What subjects are shown in your photographs? Are they different from the above?

Also, I'm not sure I know Tim Richardson, would you be able to put me in contact with him?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Chris

• 6 months later...

Hello, just found this topic. I'm the Tim Richardson Tadworth military historian mentioned. Have a lot researched and recorded on Tad camp working as part of a major project with local primary schools, churches and the WW1 memorial wood with the Woodland Trust. The whole hosted by Walton and District History Society. Somehow we have missed each other! I live on the eastern stretch of the domestic site.

The camp did indeed stretch from Tattenham Corner to Tadworth Station but also over into Walton on the Hill. At its peak it appears to have held up to 3000 troops. As well as the research field walking will be taking place in early 2015. An HLF bid is going in to provide more funding.

I will leave my contact details at Tat Cnr library failing that I can always be contacted via Bourne Hall museum in Ewell.

Regards

post-95281-0-49211700-1416266014_thumb.j

Many years ago (early 90's ? ) I remember the Epsom Stamp Company used to flog an illustrated book about the Tadworth camps. Might be worth a call.

Nb - National Guard ? - and who were the "United Arts Rifles" (recruited from Epsom Art College ? - sorry, its now a "University").

Tom