Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jammed deac SMLE. Help.

trenchtrotter

I have recently sold a working deac SMLE to my brother. He has broken it. He cocked it ready to dry fire, applied safety catch and then released safety but it was jammed. In his wisdom he unscrewed the screw of the safety and reapplied but now totally jammed and cocked plus safety catch has no plat and merely goes back and forth. Any ideas please?

Thanks

TT

Don't think it's that. Thanks anyhow

TT

I agree it might be half-cock and that pics would help.

It might also be that the safety was not correctly assembled/worn

I would remove the safety/locking lever and then try pulling the cocking piece back to fully cocked just to check.

While pulling back on the cocking piece try depressing the trigger to release the cocking spring.

if none of that works I think you will have to remove the trigger guard and investigate from below.

Chris

It's sorted. Thanks all. The problem was 100 years of wear ! The safety mechanism had sheared off so it remained engaged even though the catch was forward. We removed the catch and fished out the metal sliver. The catch still has no tension but the bolt works fine.

Thanks all for advice .

TT

If you need a safety lever drop me a pm and I can probably sort you out with one

Chris

When/if you replace the safety mechanism, there are many combinatiions of the start postion but ONLY ONE of them is correct. Do it wrong and the safety mechanism will faiil to worjk correctly, even leading to parts getting broken.

When screwed up together, the two parts need to be at 11 o'clock to each other (safety on right of picture).

A "false" position at "quarter to twelve" (left of picture) works, but gives host of problems - loose action, safety applying during shooting, etc.

There are four other thread start positions, and they will simply jam up the rifle action.

372349296.jpg

Did you take it off your brother and give him a thick ear?