Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Documents in the National archives.

soldier75

Hi,

I have found a particular officer I am researching in a search of the NA. Never visited the NA and I am unsure as to what these papers would reveal, does anyone have any experience of documents with this description, it has not been digitized as yet so I can view by using a researcher or ordering the doc from the NA itself

War Office: Officers' Services, First World War, Long Number Papers (numerical). Officers Services (including Civilian Dependants and Military Staff Appointments): Long Service Papers. 2nd Lieutenant Eric Leslie Finch BEATTY. The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment.

Might there just be his name on one document or will it be more than that, similar to a service record?

Many thanks

Harry

The reference is wo 339/33674

The officers files vary enormously. Some have only a few pages of correspondence, others can be as thick as a 1930's Penguin. They tend to hold financial and medical information, and details of say, movements, promotions etc., have generally been weeded out, so they are a lottery. If an officer was promoted from the ranks they sometimes have the original attestation papers, but one can never be sure.

They have been weeded more than once and retention was biased towards documents with a potential financial implication.

Keith

Edited by Keith Roberts
typo removed

In addition to what Keith said, files will often include the application form to become an officer which will confirm some family and pre-war employment information. Similarly, if a man was taken prisoner there will often by his account of the capture in the official exhonoration report (they will often provide the only real detail of an unsuccessful action).

Hi,

Keith and John, thanks for that information.

Is there any member of the forum planning a trip to the National Archives in the near future who could do a look up for me on this particular file, I will pay any costs incurred in the copying etc..

Thanks

Harry

• 7 months later...

Hi Harry

I'm researching into Eric Beatty too, did you get anywhere with information from the National Archives. I see you are from Widnes where my Mum came from and I still have quite a few relatives.

All the best

Wihelm

Wilhelm,

No luck at all, sadly no volunteers. I will pm you re Eric Beatty. What do you know about him?.

Harry