Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Battalion Royal Scots

yvonnel7

Hi to everyone,

Can someone help me……I am after any information regarding 17th Battalion Royal Scots (Lord Rosebery) My grandfather James Haggerty regiment no 24938 (labour crop)….I have manage to find his war record and this Medal card of Haggerty, James and I know I cannot get his medals replaced but I would like to buy copied of his medals….but what medals was he initial too….. I think 6? And what ones where they can someone please help me with that information. My uncle is turning 80 years old this year and I am trying to find out as much information about his father as I can for him because he never knew his father he was 5 when he died.

Yvonnepost-109203-0-91933500-1397311729_thumb.

• Admin

Hi Yvonne and welcome to the Forum.

Your grandfather was eligible for the British War and Victory medals. There is some information about them here. As he did not qualify for either of the Star medals, he did not enter a theatre of war before 1.1.16.

His Royal Scots number was 24938 while his number in the Labour Corps was 567144. This number was allocated between May and September 1918.

Glen

Hi Glen.....on his medal cards is say action taken Theare of war France 11/05/1915 Reg number40909 and France 17/07/15 reg number 14028? I have tried to upload the file it but is say it to big.

hank you for your help.

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

You have to resize the card to upload it as there are limits on the size you can upload. You probably have a page of medal cards from National Archives, there are 6 different people on it, you have to pick yours and ignore the rest.

I think you have the wrong card, if he is James Haggerty 24938 as you said in your first line, then he was only entitled to a pair and did not enter a theatre of war until after 1915. See - http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/campaignmedals.html and http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/interpretmic.html

40909 was a James Haggerty in the Royal Engineers and 14028 was in Royal Lancashire Regiment. Both of those did enter France before 1916,

hence the dates written, yours did not. Ancestry has the cards separately and in colour and clearer to read.

regards

Robert

Hi Robert.......Thank you for your help I have tried to make the file smaller and I hope you can read it ok :w00t: I know in my family search I have come a cross a lot of error maybe this is one too. Have a great day Yvonne

post-109203-0-46523000-1397355564_thumb.

post-109203-0-50416900-1397356575_thumb.

HI Yvonne.

Yes the small on one the LHS is from National Archives- you have the medals cards of 6 different James Haggerty's. Unfortunately it is not big enough to read anything! The cards with 24938 is the one you want. But his service records are also on ancestry, but he did not go to the BEF until 1916 as it says on the page you have put her also, so he was only entitled to a pair, as shown on his medal card. Is he the right person, as shown by his next of kin, his mother? He also reenlisted into the Scottish Rifles in 1920 , also watch there are a few pages

of someone elses record in there. Was he a coal miner?

regards

Robert

Hi Robert Thanks again for your help...Yes my grandfather did reenlisted into 6th Scottish Rifles My great-grandmother was Catherine Haggerty and they lived at 49 Barrack St Hamilton Glasgow and on all of the war records I have do have the same D.O.B and address of my grandfather and he was a miner. Robert would you be able to help me with some links about 17th Battalion Royal Scots (Lord Rosebery)because I would like to read about the men and what they went through my grandfather was Diagnosed Neurasthenia (shell shock)

Would you also know where I can get good copy of his and my other grandfathers John J Parker 6th Australian light horse reg (329) medal as well? I live in Adelaide but I am happy to go on line as well.

Regards Yvonne.

• Admin

Hi Yvonne

The war diary for 17th Royal Scots has been digitised but is not yet available to download. I think it might be online next month so keep checking the Forum or this link to see when it is ready. It probably won't mention your grandfather by name but will give a day to day account of what his battalion were doing. There is a similar one for 6th Light Horse at the AWM in Canberra which can be downloaded here for free.

Glen

Hi Yvonne

I don't know Adelaide, but the AWM has this-

Replica medals

Replica medals may be purchased from a range of sources such as coin and medal dealers, medal mounting businesses and online manufacturers of replica medals. Search the Yellow Pages under the heading "Medals &/or medal mounting" to locate businesses in your area who offer this service. A general search of the internet using the keywords "replica medals" will locate online manufacturers.

So try that. You can also search on ebay or I googled this - replica medals adelaide Australia - and got a list of possible Australian places. Sorry I have no experience with any of them, so have a look yourself.

regards

Robert

PS I forgot to add, he was transferred to the 12th RS at some time in 1917?, look at the page you have above. That caught my eye as my Grandfather was originally in the 12th. Its war diary is online at National Archives UK

Hi Yvonne

The war diary for 17th Royal Scots has been digitised but is not yet available to download. I think it might be online next month so keep checking the Forum or this link to see when it is ready. It probably won't mention your grandfather by name but will give a day to day account of what his battalion were doing. There is a similar one for 6th Light Horse at the AWM in Canberra which can be downloaded here for free.

Glen

Thank you Glen for your help...Cheers Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

I don't know Adelaide, but the AWM has this-

Replica medals

Replica medals may be purchased from a range of sources such as coin and medal dealers, medal mounting businesses and online manufacturers of replica medals. Search the Yellow Pages under the heading "Medals &/or medal mounting" to locate businesses in your area who offer this service. A general search of the internet using the keywords "replica medals" will locate online manufacturers.

So try that. You can also search on ebay or I googled this - replica medals adelaide Australia - and got a list of possible Australian places. Sorry I have no experience with any of them, so have a look yourself.

regards

Robert

PS I forgot to add, he was transferred to the 12th RS at some time in 1917?, look at the page you have above. That caught my eye as my Grandfather was originally in the 12th. Its war diary is online at National Archives UK

Thank you Robert for all your information and help in my search kind regards Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

Glen

Hi Glen can you please show me the link to the 11th light Horse please as I have tried with not much luck....thank you Yvonne