Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers

harryp

Hi, I am researching my great grandfather William Ernest Whittle born 1881 who was a Sapper in WW1, I believe his record no. was 397879 and that he joined up in 1915. I was hoping someone could help with any information about him and his activities.

Many thanks in advance for any interest and assistance.

O :unsure:

William Ernest Whittle enlisted at Birmingham in the RARE on 22nd July 1915, address given as 16 The Crescent, South Road, Handsworth, Birmingham. He had formerly served as "6556 2 RW" (?2nd Royal Warwickshire Regt.). Married, Ada Annie (nee Morris) 1901 and had 7 children by 1914. Occupation- Millwright.

He was posted to the RAREs Depot at Kingsbridge, Beaumaris, Anglesey. From 1st February 1916 he served in France with No.3 Railway Company RARE, returning to the UK 2nd August 1916 and the Depot. On 14th June 1917 he was transferred to Army Reserve Class "W" so as to be employed by Messrs. E.Camelinat & Co. Ltd. of Tenby Street, Birmingham, being then A1 in health. He resided at home while on this duty. Class "W" was for men whose war services were more valuable in a civilian workplace, and they wouldn't wear a uniform or be subject to Army discipline during that period.

Earned the British War and Victory medals. The RARE were a Special Reserve unit, and formed about 5 companies for service during the war.

He was medically discharged from Class "W" on 16th July 1918 aged 39. The cause of discharge was sickness. He received the Silver War Badge no.433051 on discharge.

Further details can be found in his "Pension" papers (WO 364 series) on the Ancestry website.

Clive

What did Messrs. E.Camelinat & Co. Ltd. of Tenby Street, Birmingham do? Looking at RMRA(Mons mob) the guys had enginnering backgrounds so the RARE same mix?

As a side found a Mons lad that enlisted in Merthyr with an occupation of sailor..................pre war but an odd combo!

Hello Clive,

Thank you for your information and details on Sapper W E Whittle. I would certainly have missed some of this detail without your clear explanation.

I have been reading about E. Camelinat and Co. with interest. Family lore has it that he worked on a special aeroplane in the war, I must find out more about this.

Thank you again all. Very helpful.

Olwyn

Hello again,

I meant to ask if William Ernest would have been building railways whilst in France? Or keeping them operational?.

Thanks again.

Olwyn

Hi All,

Thank you all for your patience and guidance. This is my first dealings with WW1 records. I am sorry to be so inquisitive, but I wondered if you could help point me in the right direction again, I have downloaded Sapper William Ernest's record, and also have very helpful information from Clive. I would like to download the appropriate War Diaries to find out exactly where William Whittle was. I have mistakenly downloaded 12th field, which seem to be the wrong ones, though good reading.

His records states Campaign BEF 1.2.16-1.1.16. i cannot find out what/exactly where this was, where is best to find this. I seem to be going round in circles.

2.2.16. Arrived at no. 4 from England GBD, ( someone's initials?)

6.2.16. 3rd Rly Joined unit from base. Thanks to Clive I know this is the 3rd Railway Company, anyone know whereabouts. Is he in Ypres?

16.2.16. Admitted to No2 General Hospital.

Raised to Very Superior Rate of EP, 2shillings. Anyone know what EP stands for?

Once more, I thank you for any assistance and direction, and apologise for being a pest.

Many thanks

Olwyn

Hi again,

I am really sorry, I made an error in the date of the Campaign, it reads 1.2.16 - 1.8.16! Can't come back before he left can he?!

I am most appreciative for your kind help.

Olwyn