The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres prison a trench map reference

micks

Hi all

I,m researching the RAMC and the movement of the wounded from

the front lines in Belgium in 1918.

Can someone provide me with a trench map reference for the prison

at Ypres which was used as a main dressing station during this period.

All the best

Micks

For some reason it isn't labelled on this map, but the white "X" at about 28.I.7.d.8.2 is the Infantry Barracks that was mentioned in the other thread about MDS's in Ypres a couple of weeks ago.

Phil

• 9 years later...

I am researching Captain John James Harrower Ferguson MC, RAMC, 138th Field Ambulance who won a bar to his MC on 16th April 1918 when he pulled the Town Major from the rubble of the Old Prison at Ypres whilst under fire.

• Admin
Just now, CraigD said:

I am researching Captain John James Harrower Ferguson MC, RAMC, 138th Field Ambulance who won a bar to his MC on 16th April 1918 when he pulled the Town Major from the rubble of the Old Prison at Ypres whilst under fire.

Hello CraigD, welcome to the forum.

You will find some pictures of the prison at Ypres in this link; https://westhoekverbeeldt.be/ontdek/?mode=gallery&view=horizontal&q=gevangenis&rows=1&page=1&record=ea1362ca-bbc5-11e3-aed1-27f9b1016b6b

The site is in Dutch so google translate is your friend here, unless of course you understand it!

There is a good search option on the site so to get a better result type in your words in Dutch.

Best Wishes, Bob.

@CraigD, welcome to the forum - here are some references for you courtesy TrenchMapper, from The Western Front Association.  Click to enlarge each image.

image.png.b8357d028a014ad46adb35f3036df16b.png

image.png.919fa2449f9f30a83c353557749f44e5.png

image.png.b2f2ffcddf8bc916c8eafd9e822cc081.png

Whitestar,

Excellent map of Ypres- do you have a link to the whole map of Ypres (still trying to get my head around trench mapper !) and the date of the map, please.

David 

1 hour ago, David_Blanchard said:

link to the whole map of Ypres

Hi David,

Sorry, I should have provided full details.  Access this in TrenchMapper with a right click over any map and select Map ID Jump.  Paste in m_026465 and you should be able to download for nothing, as a member.  Or, the WFA Office can assist you via WeTransfer.  No date is shown on the original:

Name: Ypres
Sheet: [Not recorded]
Scale: 1:4,500
1st Printing Coy. RE GHQ
Id: m_026465

The undated aerial photo is p_010796:

Name: Ypres
Sheet: [Not recorded]
Scale: 1:4,500
1st Printing Coy. RE GHQ
Id: m_026465

Cheers, Bill