Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries Naval & Military Press update

Skipman

Yeah but.

Looks as though they will sell you a war diary for £35, when you can download it directly from the National Archives for £3.50. Not a bargain - unless you particularly want a hard copy.

Hi john. I wouldn't particularly want a hard copy of any war diary, to be honest. It's only the information I want, so definitely £3.50 as opposed to £35. I'm sure more details will become available. The Indian Corps diaries will be available (Western Front) They will have to offer competitive rates?

Mike

I think where this may shine is with regard to Brigade and Divisional diaries. Many of those have been split into monthly or quarterly downloads, so the cost of downloading rockets quite considerably. Also many battalions' diaries come in at least a couple of downloads, so you're lucky if you only pay 3.30 (new price) for a diary.

I'm reserving judgment until I see the finished offerings and pricings from N&MP, although that 250GBP CD-Rom version is intriguing. It can't include every digitized diary can it?

Matthew

that 250GBP CD-Rom version is intriguing. It can't include every digitized diary can it?

Matthew

No I don't think so. I think the DVD works in conjunction with the new website. You can't download the diaries without the DVD. I like the idea of being able to download them to my hard drive. Not sure how it all works yet, but am sure all will become clear?

Mike

I'm interested in the £5.00 24 hr access but it's not letting much out as to how it will work - I also see they are getting the WW1 service records.

Craig

No I don't think so. I think the DVD works in conjunction with the new website. You can't download the diaries without the DVD. I like the idea of being able to download them to my hard drive. Not sure how it all works yet, but am sure all will become clear?

Mike

Ah, I see. Like a key/drm device. Still, got to be worth it- the entire Western Front diaries for the cost of the dvd, an internet connection and numerous dvds/a hard drive to download to. Should be interesting if it pans out that way.

Matthew