Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Campbell Memorial at Inveraray, Scotland

Eric Jamieson

I am researching the lives of two Canadian brothers, Lieut. Alex Campbell-Johnston (age 18) and his brother Pvt. Ronald Alfred Campbell-Johnston (age 29), who were felled within one day of one another at the end of the First War. They were related to the Duke of Argyll and he erected a monument to all fallen Campbells and included their names on it. I have found reference to one Campbell memorial without their names, but believe the memorial they are mentioned on is a large structure with a bell tower. I can't seem to find out where this memorial is (I suspect it is at Inveraray Castle) as I would like to obtain a photo of it. I have a newspaper clipping relating the event, with a picture of the memorial, but can't seem to get the file size down to the required 250 KB to send it. Does anyone know of this memorial and if so, could they please direct me to someone who might have a picture of it. I would appreciate any help you can render. Thank you.

Sincerely, Eric Jamieson

Hi Eric,

I think the bell tower that you refer to is All Saints church in Inveraray, see No.2 here :

http://www.inveraray-argyll.com/inveraray.html

I have been to the top of this tower (with spectacular views, see below) but I can't recall the memorial.

There is an e-mail address for the church secretary on this website :

http://www.argyll.anglican.org/churches/inveraray/

Regards, BillyH.

post-41657-0-24073800-1397035116_thumb.j

Eric,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you Google 'Inverary War Memorial' there is a good photo on the 'Roll of Honour' website, which also list all the names but gives no further details other than rank and regiment.

Robert

Further to Post #2,

Here is a view from the top of the Bell Tower showing the official war memorial referred to in posts # 3 + # 4

The war memorial is next to the red and yellow striped awning, but I don't think it is the one that you are looking for. The one you are wanting is probably inside All Saints Church.

BillyH.

post-41657-0-70411500-1397120642_thumb.j

Thank you all for your responses. I'll do a little more sleuthing and let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Sincerely, Eric

Hi Eric

The Memorial to the "Campbells" lost in WW1 is the Bell tower itself, It was built by the 10th Duke of Argyll from local stone, and is attached to All Saints Church. Niall Diamid Campbell the 10th Duke raised funds to both build the tower and install the bells of which there are 10. He actively carried stone from the local quarry to build the tower, so took a very keen personal interest in its building. There is no panel which lists all the Campbell's lost in the war. There are in fact over 2300 listed on CWGC for "Campbell " alone without any hyphenated names, so a panel with the names is not likely. In the church there is a plaque to commemorate Ivar Campbell the Dukes cousin and one to Graham Douglas Campbell placed their by immediate family. The war memorial referred to above by Billy H has a number of Campbells but only 9 I'm afraid. Let me know if I can help you further, pictures etc as I live in Inveraray.

Alec

The war memorial referred to above by Billy H has a number of Campbells but only 9 I'm afraid. Let me know if I can help you further, pictures etc as I live in Inveraray.

Alec

I did actually point out that it was probably inside All Saints Church in post # 2 & # 5

BillyH.

I did actually point out that it was probably inside All Saints Church in post # 2 & # 5

BillyH.

Not sure what your point is there, I said in post #7 that there is no panel inside the church or anywhere else. The memorial is the Bell Tower itself, no plaque, no panel inside or out.

Apologies to AJB,

I read your reply too quickly and thought that it said "is IN the bell tower itself" - and you didn't say that!

I really just wanted to point out that it wasn't me that was promoting the actual memorial on the shore of Loch Fyne as being the place to find the names. My original reply gave a link to http://www.inveraray-argyll.com/inveraray.html which states exactly what you are saying regarding the 10th Duke of Argyll and the bell tower.

Congratulations on living in such a beautiful town!

BillyH.

To all who replied

Thank you very much for all your responses. Alec, a personal thanks for answering my question about the roster. I have managed to locate a great photo under the Creative Commons License Deed which I can use as long as I acknowledge credit which I will certainly do. All the best to all. A great website.

Sincerely, Eric

• 8 years later...
On 11/04/2014 at 23:45, Alec Briggs said:

Hi Eric

The Memorial to the "Campbells" lost in WW1 is the Bell tower itself, It was built by the 10th Duke of Argyll from local stone, and is attached to All Saints Church. Niall Diamid Campbell the 10th Duke raised funds to both build the tower and install the bells of which there are 10. He actively carried stone from the local quarry to build the tower, so took a very keen personal interest in its building. There is no panel which lists all the Campbell's lost in the war. There are in fact over 2300 listed on CWGC for "Campbell " alone without any hyphenated names, so a panel with the names is not likely. In the church there is a plaque to commemorate Ivar Campbell the Dukes cousin and one to Graham Douglas Campbell placed their by immediate family. The war memorial referred to above by Billy H has a number of Campbells but only 9 I'm afraid. Let me know if I can help you further, pictures etc as I live in Inveraray.

Alec

My great-great-uncle is the Major Graham Douglas Campbell in question. He is also the very first name on the war memorial by the waterfront. Why he is memorialised in Inveraray at all, let alone in two separate locations, is a complete mystery to me, as the family had not lived in Argyll for at least 100 years if not more. Could it be simply due to his service in the AG&SH, or just someone feeling strongly about the original roots of the family?

14 hours ago, CampbellBros said:

My great-great-uncle is the Major Graham Douglas Campbell in question. He is also the very first name on the war memorial by the waterfront. Why he is memorialised in Inveraray at all, let alone in two separate locations, is a complete mystery to me, as the family had not lived in Argyll for at least 100 years if not more. Could it be simply due to his service in the AG&SH, or just someone feeling strongly about the original roots of the family?

Hi, Your Great Great Uncle is as you say both memorialised in the church and on the town war memorial, interestingly he is Captain in the church and Major on the war memorial. From my research at the 100 year anniversary of those mentioned on the war memorial I discovered the following. (Most of which you will probably know)

Graham Douglas Campbell was the son of Colonel William Mussen Campbell, a career soldier, and descendant of the Campbells of Craignish. William was born in Dublin in 1847. William served much of his time in India. Graham was born in Dublin on 28th February 1880. In 1891 he was living with his mother and siblings in London.

By 1895 Graham was on the staff list in India and received his commission as 2nd Lieutenant with the 40th Pathans in 1899. Promoted to Captain on 12th August 1908 and served with the 40th Pathans to the outbreak of war, when he returned to Britain and was attached to the 10th Bn A&SHs, killed in action 25th September  1915.

Graham's father William was a frequent visitor to both Inveraray and to the castle to visit the 10th Duke. The local newspaper "Oban Times", reported Colonel William Campbell living in Inveraray in January 1916, reporting that he had lost a son, Graham in September 1915, know locally as "Jack" . It also mentioned that William had two other sons who had served in Gallipoli one of whom was awarded the DSO. (Possibly William and Percy)

So I think it is safe to assume that the church plaque was erected during1916, bearing in mind the connections to any or all of, Inveraray/A&SHs/ friendship with Duke Niall and overseas service, whilst William was living there. The fact that he is memorialised as Captain, would support the dating of this plaque as The London Gazette reported on 6th April 1917 that the King had approved promotion for the following officers of the Indian Army...."Rank Major to be antedated to 1st September 1915 but without pay or allowances".. "Graham Douglas Campbell, 40th Pathans, since killed in action." Hence by 1923 with the dedication of the war memorial he was memorialised as Major.

Hope that helps a little.

2 minutes ago, Alec Briggs said:

Graham Douglas Campbell was the son of Colonel William Mussen Campbell, a career soldier, and descendant of the Campbells of Craignish. William was born in Dublin in 1847. William served much of his time in India. Graham was born in Dublin on 28th February 1880. In 1891 he was living with his mother and siblings in London.

Graham's father William was a frequent visitor to both Inveraray and to the castle to visit the 10th Duke. The local newspaper "Oban Times", reported Colonel William Campbell living in Inveraray in January 1916, reporting that he had lost a son, Graham in September 1915, know locally as "Jack" . It also mentioned that William had two other sons who had served in Gallipoli one of whom was awarded the DSO. (Possibly William and Percy)

This is fascinating, thank you! How did you discover the link to the Campbells of Craignish? And do you know why William was a temporary resident or frequent visitor to Inveraray/the Duke? Do you have a digital copy of the article by any chance? As far as I was aware the family for several generations was primarily resident in India and Ireland, and a little in England, at least until the end of the First World War. William's brother in fact went on to be Lord Chancellor of Ireland.

William had four sons, all of whom were career soldiers. My great-grandfather Percy Henry (Royal Engineers) and one of his brothers, Keith Gordon (21 Kohat Mountain Battery and 26 Jacob's Mountain Battery), both served in Gallipoli. Percy was invalided home due to illness and later married his nurse (scandal). Keith received the DSO. The other brothers, William Kenneth (at the time with 12th "Kelat-i-Ghilzie" Pioneers) and of course Graham Douglas both died in the War. In William's case of illness while serving on the North-West Frontier against the Mohmands. This letter of their father to his sons' school may also be of interest (transcript beneath): https://dulwichcollege1914-18.co.uk/document/wkh-campbell-father-letter/?back_to_oa=3629 Ironically his grandson, my grandfather, ended up marrying a German.

11 minutes ago, Alec Briggs said:

By 1895 Graham was on the staff list in India and received his commission as 2nd Lieutenant with the 40th Pathans in 1899. Promoted to Captain on 12th August 1908 and served with the 40th Pathans to the outbreak of war, when he returned to Britain and was attached to the 10th Bn A&SHs, killed in action 25th September  1915.

Graham actually commissioned into the Bedfordshire Regiment first, but transferred to the Indian Army in 1901 (I have his original commission). He was on home leave in the UK when war broke out and made his presence known to the War Office. They attached him to the 10th A&SH, together with another officer of the 40th Pathans. I've quoted this elsewhere, but a little anecdote from the regimental history of the 40th Pathans relates that "While inspecting the battalion [10th A&SH], Lord Kitchener encquired from these two officers after the 40th Pathans, whom he had known well in India. On being informed that the 40th were at Hong Kong and anxious for more active employment, Lord Kitchener remarked that it was a pity to leave such a fine battalion out of it, and added that he would see that they were sent to France." 

And yes, I had also surmised that the differences in rank stemmed from the promotion effectively being posthumous. His memorial scroll, which I have, also has him as Captain.