Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Gordon Elton DSO MC - Killed In Action

Guest Bob Juno

Hello Pals,

I'm looking for any information relating to Gordon Daubeney Gresley Elton DSO MC, a Captain in the Royal Irish Fusiliers who was serving as a General Staff Officer with 58th Division when he was killed in the trenches near Poelcappelle during the Passchendaele campaign in November 1917. He is buried in Duhallows ADS cemetery and is listed on the Fryerning (Essex) roll of honour. He had married Doris Miller of St Leonards, Ingatestone in the January of the same year. He was the son of the late Col AGG Elton (Connaught Rangers & 7th Royal Warwicks).

Any further information that could be supplied by Pals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob: From the CWGC:

gordon

Casualty Details

Name: ELTON

Initials: G D G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Irish Fusiliers

Date of Death: 05/11/1917

Awards: DSO, MC

Additional information: Son of the late Col. A. G. G. Elton (Connaught Rangers and 7th Royal Warwicks); husband of Doris Elton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 12.

Cemetery: DUHALLOW A.D.S. CEMETERY

From the 1891 census:

Name Age in 1891 Birthplace Relationship to head-of-house Civil parish County

Elton, Gordon G D 2 IND Nephew St Paul Bedfordshire

From the 1901 census:

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Gordon Elton 12 India Pupil Kingston on Thames Surrey

He was educated at Wellington College and RMC Sandhurst. Commissioned 2Lt 6 Nov 09 and promoted Lt 21 Oct 11. In April 1914 he was appointed ADC to the GOC 4th (Quetta) Division in India, where he had been serving with 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers, but resigned his appointment that October and rejoined his battalion, which was about to depart for UK. He went with it to France in Dec 14, where it was in 27th Division. He was appointed orderly officer to the GOC 82 Bde, but was severely wounded in May 1915 after being awarded the MC. He then went to Gallipoli as a brigade major and was present at the evacuation. He went to Egypt and then was posted back to France and 58 Div, where he was probably the GSO3. His DSO was gazetted in the Birthday Honours 1917. He was also four times mentioned in despatches.

Charles M

Bob,

ELTON, Gordon Daubeny Gresley D.S.O., M.C.

Captain (89th Foot) Princess Vicorias (Royal Irish Fusiliers), only son of Lieut.-Colonel Alfred George Goodenough Elton, Late Connaught Rangers and now commanding a Territorial Battn. of the Warwickshire Regiment, and his late wife Rhoda, dau. of Colonel Gordon Young, Indian Army.

Born Jellunder, India 31st December 1888; educated at Wellington College, and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst; gazetted 2nd Lieut. 5th Nov. 1910, promoted Lieut in Oct 1911 abd Capt. 1st Sept. 1915; became A.D.C. to Lieut- General H.M.S. Grover, K.C.B. in India in April 1914, which post he resigned on the commencement of the war; proceeded to France in the following Dec. with the 82nd Brigade, 27th Division and was wounded at Ypres 12th May 1915; on recovery served with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force at Gallipoli from Nov 14th following, being one of the last to leave Suvla Bay; returned to France 9th July 1916, being appointed General Staff Officer (second grade) to the 58th Division in June 1917.

Captain Elton saw service in the second Battle of Ypres, at Gallipoli, on the Somme, at Arras, Messines, Wytschaete, in the third Battle of Ypres, and was killed in action at Poelcappelle on 5th Nov. 1917. Bried in the Duhallow Cemetery.

His General wrote: "He was a splendid officer, and i know he had a great future. I have never met a man with a more charming nature than he had. I think he was one of the few who captured everyones affection from the moment one first saw him........He was loved by all here, and his loss is beyond everything; apart from his being an exceptionally brilliant officer, he was the most charming companion and one who was always cheery and never down on his luck; this means a very great deal out here." And a brother officer: "He was one of the best fellows that ever stepped. I never met anyone who more fullfilled the idea of what a man should be."

He was four times mentioned in despatches (London Gazette 22nd June 1915) by F.M. Sir John (now Lord) French, and (London Gazettes 4th Jan 1917, 15th May 1917 and 11th Dec 1917) by F.M. Sir Douglas Haig, for gallant and distinguished service in the field, and was awarded the Military Cross (London Gazette 14th March 1915) "For conspicuous gallantry at St. Eloi from 14th to 16th March 1915, when he obtained valuable and very essential information relative to the enemy position on four seperate occasions, whilst exposed to heavy close range rifle fire."

and the D.S.O. (London Gazette 4th June 1917) .

He married at St. James church, Piccadilly, W. on 18th Jan 1917, Doris, 2nd Dau. of Mr & Mrs Robert Miller of St.Leonards, Ingatestone, Essex.

Hope this all helps, picture to follow.

Andy

The photo above is the roll of honour 1914-1915 that hangs in St Margarets Church in Margaretting

Bob can I ask what is your interest in him?

John

John,

Good for you, re the information no problem, your man is in Du Ruvignys Roll of Honour including a picture which i am trying to get a good scan of at the moment if my bloody scanner will play ball.

Andy

John,

I am trying, if worst comes to worst i will take a digital photograph of the picture and get it to you.

Andy

Andy - thanks for this brilliant information - where does it come from?

John - Thanks for your help. My interest has been sparked by a collection of letters I have that were written to Elton's widow and in-laws following his death. Many are from his brother officers and senior officers he served under. I will post some excerpts later. One is particularly poignant as it describes in detail the circumstances of his death.

Thanks again.

Bob,

The information comes from "The Roll of Honour" by the Marquis de Ruvigny, Part 2, Volume 4, from the London Stamp Exchange edition. Naval and Military do a reprint but not sure if it is laid out as per The London Stamp Exchange edition. It was originally published during the Great war but i believe that the numbers got so overwhelming that it could not be completed.

Andy

Bob,

You are welcome, I should think that the letters that you have are very interesting and poignant, i look forward to seeing what snippets you do put on the forum. Will have a good go this evening at getting my scanner to co-operate and get his picture posted.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excerpt from a letter sent to Elton's mother-in-law by Capt CL Leake

"....the Divisional Commander (Maj Gen Cator) and a Brigadier (Gen Jackson) and Gordon were walking in single file towards Policappell (sic) somewhere in the ??????? (can't read this word) when the bosch barraged the locality and the three of them immediately lay down, and when the barrage ceased (a minute or so later) they all proceeded again & had not gone far when the barrages again opened ; your son-in-law was walking behind with the Divisional Commander a few paces in front & the Brigadier leading. The two in front immediately threw themselves flat on the ground but I fear that Gordon did not get down quickly enough and a piece of shell struck him in the back and entered his heart, death, mercifully being instantaneous. It was not until the two generals rose to continue their journey that they even knew that Gordon had been hit ; they immediately went to his assistance but poor Gordon had already breathed his last......"

• 8 years later...

Dear Bob,

We are reasarching our School War memorial - Captain Gordon D G Elton it seems went to our Prep School in Surrey in 1901 (now called Shrewsbury House Prep School) before he went to Wellington College and Sandhurst. We would love to hear about his letters if you still have them and anythng else about the man particularly his connection to our school and the Surbiton area.

• Admin

Bob has not been active on here for some yeras- his account is now deleted so it is very unlikely he will see this sadly

Michelle

• 1 year later...
Guest excom1991

Dear Bob,

We are reasarching our School War memorial - Captain Gordon D G Elton it seems went to our Prep School in Surrey in 1901 (now called Shrewsbury House Prep School) before he went to Wellington College and Sandhurst. We would love to hear about his letters if you still have them and anythng else about the man particularly his connection to our school and the Surbiton area.

Hi,

If still researching Gordon Elton, I may have some information of interest e.g. letters, family etc. Let me know

• 8 months later...

Hi,

If still researching Gordon Elton, I may have some information of interest e.g. letters, family etc. Let me know

The University of Limerick have a fascinating archive of the Armstrong family. Gordon Elton was a close friend of theirs. They too have correspondence with and info over him. For a start see http://longwaytotipperary.ul.ie/the-military/royal-irish-fusiliers/meet-fusiliers/mp6a_1199_2-2/