Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras offensive

RichardW

Having just found out about a relative who was killed in the Arras offensive I'd like to find out more. I'm half-way through 'Cheerful Sacrifice' which I'm finding well written and very interesting.

Please could anyone post recommendations for further reading on this part of the war,

Many thanks

Battleground Europe:

- Vimy Ridge

- Gavrelle

- Monchy-le-Preux

- Bullecourt

(- Walking Arras?)

Official History of the War, Military Operations, France and Belgium, 1917 *.

Compiled by Cyril Falls and very readable.

Walter

Superb pictures in

'The 1917 Spring Offensives: Arras, Vimy, Chemin des Dames' by Yves Buffetaut. (ISBN 2 908 182 67 X)

Robert

• 1 month later...
I'm half-way through 'Cheerful Sacrifice' which I'm finding well written and very interesting.

I have just completed the latest reprint of this book. It was good. There is a useful amount of general information, coupled with quite good maps (clear but don't cover all of the battlefield), describing the course of the Battle of Arras. The real strength of this book is the wealth of anecdotal material from all sides, including infantry, artillery and tankers. A nice overview that is deservably endorsed by Martin Middlebrook, who was the inspiration to the author.

Of most interest, and in light of previous discussions about Allenby, Day 1 was well planned and executed. This included the British as well as Canadian contingents. In this respect, you can see the influence of Plumer on Allenby. The real problems occurred once the relatively unplanned and very haphazard attempts at exploitation were attempted.

Robert

A number of Canadian memoirs give accounts of Arras. Two good ones (available in reprints from CEF Books) are: Will R. Bird, Ghosts Have Warm Hands, and James Pedley, Only This.