Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameronians (scottish rifles) 2nd Bn.

Irishdove

I would be grateful for any help i could get in tracing the military history of our great great uncle. His name is Private John Henry Whitehouse, 6867. He was born october 1882 in Darlaston to William and Rebecca Whitehouse, he married Mary Jane Holder and had two sons and a daugher. He served with the Cameronains (scottish rifles) 2nd Bn. He died 18th Jan 1915, he was buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery Plot: I. G. 8. He is commerated on the war memorial in Darlaston but he is down as dying in 1916. We know all his family history but cant find much about his military life. I dont know if it is true but it has been passed down in the family that he took three days to die but i cant confirm this and would very much like to gain as much information about him as possable

Morning

I can tell you that he was drafted to France on 5 November 1914 and died of his wounds at 31 years of age.

Although it is unlikely that he was mentioned by name, the War Diary is available to download for just over 3 quid, so you can follow his service

from the day he went to France to the day he died

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7352484

Regards,

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Graeme. I cant find any events that match the day he was injured, do you have any idea how i could get that information and where he died?

ID. The following is an extract from the WD of the 2nd Bn Cameronians.

11th Jan. 1915. In trenches CHAPIGNY 4 men killed 1 wounded. Relieved by the 2/Devons into Div Reserve at PONT RIRCHON.

12th Jan Nothing to record.

13th Jan Nothing to record.

14th Jan. PONT RIRCHON Relieved 2/Devons in trenches. 1 man killed.

15th Jan. In CHAPIGNY 2 men wounded.

16th Jan CHAPIGNY 8 men wounded.

17th Jan CHAPIGNY. 2 men killed 4 wounded. Went into Bde Reserve in and around LA FLINQUE.

Not much I'm afraid, and as Graeme mentioned the wounded or even the soldiers KIA were very seldom named.

Good luck with your research. Aye Rob.

• 9 years later...

John Henry Whitehouse is also my great great Uncle and I am currently going through our family tree.My husband found that John was hit in the stomach and died 3 days later 18thJan 1915

Edited by C.Leason

I'm attaching copies of my transcription of the Battalion War Diary from 1st to 18th Jan 1915 (2 pages).

You'll see that there are several (un-named) wounded during that period.

I'll assume that you ancestor is one of those who later Died of Wounds (see Medal Rolls Index Card (MIC)).

I hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

2nd Bn SRs - WD - 1915 01_Page_06.jpg

2nd Bn SRs - WD - 1915 01_Page_08.jpg

On 08/04/2014 at 01:20, Irishdove said:

he married Mary Jane Holder and had two sons and a daugher.

Pension records at WFA/Fold3 show names and dates of birth for the children

On 23/02/2024 at 15:00, C.Leason said:

John Henry Whitehouse is also my great great Uncle and I am currently going through our family tree.

Also the pension records at WFA/Fold3 show his widow Mary Jane remarried becoming Mrs SPELLMAN and that she continued to claim [presumably for her children as she would have lost her pension in favour of a one-off gratuity on remarriage] from 842 Emmett Street, Schenectady, New York

M

Had found that Mary had remarried and gone to America but unsure of whereabouts so thank you for that info. 

Carol.

On 23/02/2024 at 15:00, C.Leason said:

John Henry Whitehouse is also my great great Uncle and I am currently going through our family tree.My husband found that John was hit in the stomach and died 3 days later 18thJan 1915

Hi Carol, your husband is correct, John (Jack) was hit in the stomach and passed three days later. Mary did move to America but left her daughter Gladys behind. She passed away in 1932. His son`s Leonard passed in 1976 and John in 2004. Mary passed in 1969. John is buried in Estaires, Departement du Nord, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. Please feel free to contact me for any help you might need on the family tree as I have extensive details. 

I have included a picture of his headstone and one of John himself, from the family collection.

JHW.jpg

John Henry Whitehouse.jpg

I have found these photos and I will definitely be in touch help.My connection to the Whitehouse family is my Mum was a Whitehouse.

Carol

Morning,

I have this on him, he is commemorated on the Darlaston War Memorial

John was born in Darlaston to William and Rebecca (née Millington) Whitehouse of 9, Station Street, Darlaston, his father being a screw forger.

A foundry labourer, he married Mary Jane Holder at Walsall in mid 1909 and then resided at 39, Station Street, Darlaston with his wife and 3 children, Gladys, Leonard and John. Mary was the sister of John and William Holder, both commemorated on the war memorial.

John enlisted in the Army at Lichfield and was drafted to France on Thursday 5 November 1914.

Mortally wounded in action, John was removed to the 25th Field Ambulance at Estaires where he succumbed to his injuries at 33 years of age.

John’s battalion took over trenches near Chapigny during Thursday 14 January 1915 and retained possession until relieved on Sunday 17 January 1915. Each day casualties were taken, most probably to shelling and sniping.

An officer wrote to his mother,

“Your son died on Sunday January 17th. His wound was a very terrible on in the stomach. He was in great pain and he could not talk much, but he followed me when I prayed with him.”

The War Diary records,

“11 January 1915 - Trenches near Chapigny.

Four killed and one wounded. Relieved by 2nd Devons and went into divisional reserve at Pont Rirchon.

12 January 1915 - Nothing to report.

13 January 1915 - Nothing to report.

14 January 1915 - Relieved 2 Devons in the trenches. One man killed.

15 January 1915 - Trenches near Chapigny. Two men wounded.

16 January 1915 - Eight men wounded.

17 January 1915 - Two men killed and four wounded. Went into brigade reserve in and around La Flinque.”

John is buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery and Extension in Grave I.G.8.

His widow married Thomas Spellman at Walsall in 1920 and resided at 42, Tilley Street, Darlaston.

John is incorrectly commemorated on the 1916 Panel on the war memorial.

His wife’s brothers, William and John Holder, both died in the war and are commemorated on the war memorial.

Whitehouse J H  a.jpg

JHW4.jpg

9651484.jpeg

Thank you so much.The information you guys get is great. Both sides of our family had a few that went to war and never came home like so many other families.

Our son is still currently serving so that was what kicked us into our searching for family members.What we have found is amazing and heartbreaking.So I am really thankful for all of you taking time to help me out.

Keep up the good work.We must remember them ❤️

We have 2 Leasons but I think we know as much as possible on them but I'm sure now I've said that there will be more information found.

Carol.

2 minutes ago, C.Leason said:

We have 2 Leasons but I think we know as much as possible on them but I'm sure now I've said that there will be more information found.

Friendly / cautionary note: Should you wish to explore those two then I suggest separate threads - so we don't too confused! :D :unsure: :(

All the best.

M

1 minute ago, C.Leason said:

Yes already done a while back.

:thumbsup: So that is alright then :)

M