Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Navy List - look-up

chris basey

Is there a kind person with access to the Navy List who could look up to see the name of the Captain of HMS NICATOR in April 1918.

I will be most grateful for any information - Thank you!

LT in command Cecil F.J. Hammett appointed 19 Jul 1917.

Hammett relieved LT in command Jack E.A. Moccatta, who had been apppomted in April 1916.

Thanks

don

For your information, three ratings drowned in NICATOR on 7 April 1918.

don

Don

Many thanks for that prompt reply.

Do you have any details of the incident on 7th April 1918?

Kind regards

Chris

Sorry no details other than accidental drowning. Have the names, service numbers, etc, etc on the three, if interested.

Two were buried ashore and the third is in CWG. Kind of sounds like a boat accident in harbour. If anyone has an answer, I would be interested in learning it.

Thanks

don

Don

One of the three was my grandfather and I have spent many years trying to find out the exact circumstances of their deaths. Two weeks ago we were in Ireland when I believe I was the first person of the family to visit his grave.

Family story has always said that he drowned whilst trying to rescue a fellow sailor who had fallen overboard and then, only this July, I came across a Diocesan magazine for June 1918 which reported his death with the words 'as a result of a collision between two destroyers'. I've since drawn a blank at NA on reports of collisions involving the Nicator so am now going down the route of courts martials - hence my request for the Captain's name.

Grandfather is Aurthur James Ward who is buried in the churchyard at Rathmullan with a very ornate stone subscribed by officers and men of HMS Nicator, Frederick Neve is buried on the opposite side of Lough Swilly at Buncrana with a CWCG stone. AB Jones's body was never found and is commemorated at Portsmouth but, with Neve, is also mentioned on the stone at Rathmullan.

What sparked off your interest to know about these three drownings?

Many thanks for your interest and help.

Kind regards

Chris