Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artwork to commemorate WW1 (Well sort of)

Seadog

PS I originally thought that this was something out of "Star Wars" but apparently not

Norman

My first thought too.

A surprisingly apposite comment from a reader

"Least (sic) we forget. And because of the clear pictures of the models. We can at least forget about paying the £16.50 entrance to see them"

Norman

Sorry, where could one find antennae topped high rise flats during the great war? Is it me or am I missing something here?

Chester

Its modern art Chester the great con trick and in this case it has taken in the Cathedral authorities completely. You say quite rightly just what has this to do with the commemoration of WW1 and the simple answer is nothing at all! To think that such a piece of junk can be displayed in such a symbolic place as this magnificent and iconic Cathedral is disappointing to say the very least. You may have already seen this thread but if not take a look at what is to be erected at Thiepval in proximity to the Memorial to the Missing (see Post 33).

GWF Thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209450&page=2

Regards

Norman

Rather reminiscent of the most recent episode of the brilliant 'Rev' on BBC where an artist is allowed to use the church in exchange for a large donation.

Its modern art Chester the great con trick and in this case it has taken in the Cathedral authorities completely. You say quite rightly just what has this to do with the commemoration of WW1 and the simple answer is nothing at all! To think that such a piece of junk can be displayed in such a symbolic place as this magnificent and iconic Cathedral is disappointing to say the very least. You may have already seen this thread but if not take a look at what is to be erected at Thiepval in proximity to the Memorial to the Missing (see Post 33).

GWF Thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209450&page=2

Regards

Norman

:rolleyes::blink:

Sorry, where could one find antennae topped high rise flats during the great war? Is it me or am I missing something here?

Chester

Yes Chester, I think you are missing something. The crosses are to reflect the horrors of conflict past and present, not just the Great War. The Cathedral's web site says that "The installations encourage reflection on the waste, pity and devastation of war, both 100 years ago and in our time, whilst also instilling a sense of hopefulness and a longing for peace". Speaking as a simple soldier I think they very much achieve that.

It's like something they used to knock up out of cereal boxes on Blue Peter for Christmas. As an "artiste" myself, I'm all for an interesting approach to anything. Maybe you have to be there..

Yes Chester, I think you are missing something. The crosses are to reflect the horrors of conflict past and present, not just the Great War. The Cathedral's web site says that "The installations encourage reflection on the waste, pity and devastation of war, both 100 years ago and in our time, whilst also instilling a sense of hopefulness and a longing for peace". Speaking as a simple soldier I think they very much achieve that.

Well said Gareth. The artist makes it clear that the ruined cities are Homs and Baghdad not Ypres and Albert. As with the installation at the Thiepval Memorial you don't have to be a lover of modern art (and I'm not) to appreciate that the artist is at least trying to engage with a tremendously difficult subject in a thoughtful and original way. I'm certainly going to make sure I go and look at it.

David

Gareth,

Looking at the 'installations', they do not scream "Great War" at me. They do, however, seem to be more reflective of recent conflicts. What part of this art, exactly, represents the Great War? The blurb actually states that the buildings are meant to be Aleppo, Homs & Baghdad.

"Speaking to the Mail Online, Mr Judah said he chose to use modern conflicts as his inspiration in order to 'contemporise' the First World War."

As a simple ex soldier, I still don't get it.

Chester

As a simple ex soldier, I still don't get it.

Welcome to the club Chester and I doubt that anyone will understand that pretentious gobbledygook! The important thing to me is just how those i/c the cathedral thought that this was a suitable installation to commemorate WW1 they must be pretty gullible. When you consider the multitude of original artifacts, paintings, photos and sculpture etc that could have been used then you wonder just what prompted them to choose this. However in my opinion places like this are simply tourist destinations and the core concept behind such a building was lost years ago just look at the entrance prices for proof of that

Norman

I'd go see it. Why not? I bet it would have impact in person and why fault planners for trying anything they can think of to bring this centenary to life?

I remember seeing the gigantic primary color paintings red, blue, yellow in the Milwaukee Art Museum and realizing that what I thought I knew was nothing.

One of these (or maybe this one) was previously on show at IWM North. Actually quite impressive and thought provoking, even though Iraq war themed.

I think the "loose" WW1 connection is just some standard art pretension ballcocks.

Regards

Ian

Nothing wrong with it, whatsoever. Art might well be interpreted by the individual, and 'twas ever thus. Some might appreciate it, some may not; Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this Forum, but to my mind the above comment about 'pretentious gobbledygook' ', whilst reflecting the member's own viewpoint, might not necessarily similarly reflect comfotably with what is potentially a useful ongoing discussion of current interpretations of the Great War