Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 postcards, photos, deathcards

robbie

hi all,

just got hold of an old copy of "THe First World War - ephemera, mementoes, documents" / M. RIckards & M. Moody (1975). It is excellent resource for collectors of postcards, deathcards, newspaper articles - lots of black and white and coloured pics, too.

Robbie

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

When I first posted this topic several months ago some very helpful forum members suggested 2 websites - 1 for translating the German text to English and the other a guide to the old script used on these cards.

I cannot for the life of me find these pages or even similar others.

If you know of these or similar could you please post? My school German is not standing up very well.

Robbie

Robbie

There are quite a number of free tanslation services on the net. Try bablefish, which is operated by Altavista

Terry Reeves

Robbie

There are quite a number of free tanslation services on the net. Try bablefish, which is operated by Altavista

Terry Reeves

Thanks a million Terry.

Robbie,

Google now has a perfectly adequate translation program (click on Language Tools' on their home page) - it is automated, so pretty literal. Problem with WW1 era German is that the sentence construction is pretty complex, which will floor most automated translations, so be flexible with your reading of what it churns out (i.e. to quote the great Mr Morecambe, "All the right notes - not necessarily in the right order...") !

Jim

Robbie,

Google now has a perfectly adequate translation program (click on Language Tools' on their home page) - it is automated, so pretty literal.  Problem with WW1 era German is that the sentence construction is pretty complex, which will floor most automated translations, so be flexible with your reading of what it churns out (i.e. to quote the great Mr Morecambe, "All the right notes - not necessarily in the right order...") !

Jim

Thanks Jim. It's the funny old script that gets me really confused as to whether it is an S or F or R..etc

Robbie,

Don't think they've come up with a website to decipher German handwriting, unfortunately - now that would be OCR really worth its salt !!!

Jim